Multi-Session Restore

philteale

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

We are doing a large restore at the moment and I am trying to speed it up. I have been experimenting with multi-session restores but am not having much luck.

We have 6 drives in our TS3310 library. I have set "resourceutilization 3" (for testing) in the dsm.opt file of the client doing the restore but when I do a "q ses" on the TSM server, I only see one session, eg:

2,427 Tcp/Ip RecvW 1 S 40.1 G 471.9 K Node WinNT MEDIASTORE1

If I do an f=d query on the session I see one tape loaded.

Is there a way to see if the argument I have specified in dsm.opt has actually taken affect? Also, why isn't the client spawning multiple sessions to the server?

The client MAXMOUNTPOINTS is set to one, but I am under the impression that this parameter is only used for backup/archive - am I right?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

Phil

Bump up your Max Mount Points Allowed for that client to 3 and you'll get your 3 tape drives. Normally I try to do seperate directories in seperate restore sessions to try and speed up the process (ie. c:/ one session d:/ another session, etc etc).

The other note is that even though you have 6 tape drives available, if you're only restoring 1 file system (or >1 FS on 1 physical disk), then you'll only get 1 mount. The client can't restore multiple data streams to a single disk spindle.

Thanks

Thanks to both of you for your help. I increased the MAXNUMMP parameter to three, restarted the job and the client opened three sessions to the server :) The restore is now motoring along now. Thanks again.

Back