Moving log files

DrewJ

Newcomer
Reaction score
I am in the typical situation, inherit TSM, low disk space and have the log files and db split out over different drive letters. To help gain space, I went to move the log files onto the db drive - it's raid 10 etc so spindles aren't the issue, just space. I followed the TSM documentation to move the logs, ver 6.4.3 of TSM and they moved but TSM would not restart and was asking for the database license key. This was not mentioned in the documentation; is that standard? If it is, can I use the database license key already on the server or do I need to find the media?

Part 2 question - instead of moving the log files, can I create a directory on that drive and give a Sever quota size and then store files there while ensuring the log files have enough space to grow? We are migrating off of 6.4.3 but I am fighting time as we transition to the new 7.x system.

Tia,
Andrew

How did you move the LOGS? Via the OS - this is NOT supported.

What you should have done (and is a lot cleaner) is:

- backup the TSM DB
- shutdown the TSM server
- define a new and bigger location for the ACTLOG and ARCHLOG
- clear the TSM environment via: dsmserv removedb TSMDB1
- update the dsmserv.opt file pointing to the new ACTLOG and ARCHLOG directories
- restore the TSM DB: dsmserv restore db

By the way, you cannot put the ACTLOG and ARCHLOG on the same directory that is home to any TSM DB. You have to use a different directory or location.

I have no need to move the db, just the log files.

Back