Move a node to a new domain

brobb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi...

I'm running TSM 4.1 on an S/390 server.

I have a domain with multiple nodes where the node's backups go to disk, then are backed up to an uncollocated offsite copy pool, then migrated to an uncollocated onsite primary tape pool.

I now mirror three of these nodes to a hotsite, so I no longer need to backup the data from these nodes to the offsite copy pool.

I have four questions:

1) If I create a new domain for these three nodes only, will the first backup be a 'full backup'?

2) What happens to the data already stored in the original domain - will it remain idle in its original storage pools? Will it ever expire?

3) How can I move the data from the original onsite pool to a new onsite pool in a new domain?

4) How can I get rid of the data in the original uncollocated offsite copy pool?

Many Thanks...

Bill

....snip...........

I have four questions:

1) If I create a new domain for these three nodes only, will the first backup be a 'full backup'?

No. Moving nodes into different domains doesnt affect historical data, unless the retention settings are different.

2) What happens to the data already stored in the original domain - will it remain idle in its original storage pools? Will it ever expire?

Data will expire based on the management class bound to the objects.

3) How can I move the data from the original onsite pool to a new onsite pool in a new domain?

Upgrade to more recent version of TSM server code that has the move nodedata command (this allows movement of data for a node from one pool to another)

4) How can I get rid of the data in the original uncollocated offsite copy pool?

Don't think you can....except maybe to create a new offsite pool once you've done a move nodedata. Then you could delete the original offsite copy pool. You might need to buy a few tapes first.

Many Thanks...

Bill

[/quote]

Back