monitor client/session backup speed in realtime??

koutsane

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

i was wondering how to monitor client backup session speed (throughput) in relatime from the TSM Server?

I'm a newbie to SQL :s

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Best Regards,

Evan

I don't think you can do this realtime monitoring from within TSM in a realistic manner.

To monitor network throughput - granting that the only traffic would be TSM for a particular time period, i.e. backup window - I use MRTG. Again, I emphasize that this would be relative if the outbound traffic from a node is not entirely TSM backup data.

Doing realtime by way of TSM means doing repeated q commands that will have to be initiated around every 1 minute, collecting the data, and plotting the data unto a graph for it to make sense.

MRTG handles this automatically by monitoring the NIC through SNMP.

Last edited:
Yep - Moon is right.
Where other backup software packages do show realtime action -
TSM does not have true ability for this. Sad but true.

What you can do -
"q se" (query session) from a dsmadmc window.
That will show you point-in-time bits -
Best I can offer...
Hope it helps you.

-Chef.

I've scripted a small solution running "select from sessions" every 10 seconds. Works for me. Unlike the processes table, sessions does show data transferred - not just files/bytes processed for finished objekts, so it gives quite accurate realtime statistics for data backed up or archived.

PJ

Thanks Guys... appreicate the quick response

Also, you mentioned you created a script that can at least measure the aggregate speed of a TSM backup? I'm having some trouble getting my TSM script (SQL) right, would really appreciate an example.

Thank-you and Best Regards,

Evan

You can also get some info info via "q node <nodename> f=d"

Look for:

Bytes Received Last Session: xx M
Duration of Last Session: xx

You can use that to get what you need...
Or wait for PJ to log back on :)

i am using the following sql

i am using the following sql ( does not work for storage agent session )

select char(client_name,10) as "Sess",CAST(CAST(bytes_received/1024/1024 as decimal(15,0))/CAST((current_timestamp-start_time)seconds as decimal(15,0)) as decimal(10,2)) as "Receive [MB/s]",CAST(CAST(bytes_sent/1024/1024 as decimal(15,0))/CAST((current_timestamp-start_time)seconds as decimal(15,0)) as decimal(10,2)) as "Sent [MB/s]" from sessions where session_type='Node'

Thanks Guys appreicate the help!!!!

Best Regards,

Evan

Back