missing tapes with in TSM or 3584 Library

TOSTIVOLIADMIN

Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Help!!!

I am new to TSM and was wondering why periodically we seem to be missing tapes with in Tivoli...Recently I had the TSM administrator review things and noticed thag we are missing about 27 tapes...Basically he ran a report or printed out disaster recovery info that states what tapes Tivoli sees...then he compared that info to the report he received when running the command to show how many scratch tapes are available...from the research and comparisons we noticed that Tivoli does not know about those tapes...It appears they are missing within the library or stored offsite...But either way Tivoli should know about these tapes...Any ideas? Please help

Thanks

:confused:

TSM is like a washing machine when washing socks, it looses track of some socks

during the wash cycle. So with TSM you will need to run a daily audit of the library

so TSM finds the missing scratch tapes.

If possible use the 'checklabel=barcode' option, this speeds things up by telling

the library to scan the barcodes on the tapes rather then mount them into the

drive.

Command (via TSM's Server CLI):

audit library <lib name> checklabel=barcode

(e.g. audit library 123lib checklabel=barcode)

After a successful audit is completed, check your scratch tapes.

What once was lost, now is found.

Our library also does this. it is very annoying, as the tape reclamation stops over the weekend as it looses all of the scratch tapes.

when i audited the library this morning (after halting the server to cancle the jobs) it found 15 tapes

we are running 5.1.8.4

Is there a newer version that fixed this problem ?

I'm very new to TSM as well, but I noticed we had a bunch of tapes listed as "missing" on our tape rotation report. I looked into it a bit and found that the tape rotation report runs at 09:41. Tape check-in runes at 15:00. After the tape check-in runs, the number of missing tapes goes down. I then noticed that the "missing" tapes, are actually under the heading of "Volumes marked on-site but not checked in". Most of our"missing" tapes are tapes that have been retrieved from the vault, put in the library, but not checked in yet. So I now check for "missing" tapes after the tape check in.

Hope that makes sense.

Tim

I have now found why the tapes keep dissapearing

They have not have the label written onto the tape header, so the library identifies the tape via it's barcode but as soon as it inserts it into a drive it cannot write to the tape, so it hides it.

Now i need to know how to remove the tapes.

I have tried checking them out, but this fails as soon as it loads the tape into a drive..

here's the error i get ?

ANR2017I Administrator ADMIN issued command: CHECKOUT libvol 3584_lib prg909l1

ANR0984I Process 3 for CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME started in the BACKGROUND at 14:10:16.

ANR8434I CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME: Operation for volume PRG909L1 in library 3584_LIB started as

process 3.

ANR0609I CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME started as process 3.

ANR8336I Verifying label of LTO volume PRG909L1 in drive LTODRIVE06 (mt5.0.0.6).

ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume PRG909L1 in drive LTODRIVE06 (mt5.0.0.6).

ANR8437E CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME for volume PRG909L1 in library 3584_LIB failed.

ANR0985I Process 3 for CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME running in the BACKGROUND completed with

completion state FAILURE at 14:11:16.

Has ANYONE got any idea how i can remove the tape from the TSM database ?

Monkeh,

You can try using the checkout libv command with the checklabel=no option.

For example:

CHECKOUT libvol 3584_lib prg909l1 remove=yes checklabel=no

This should delete the volume from libvolumes, and should remove the tape from your library without mounting the tape in a drive. Hope that helps!

Jordan

Hey Jordan

Thanks it worked perfectly, now i have removed those tapes it should run a lot smoother now

Phil

Back