Migration Techniques help

ryanbsc

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi guys

Currently we Have two TSM Servers.

Our Main TSM Server, that has the tape library connected to it, which is ran on AIX 5.3 and TS3500 tape library in one site.(NODE1)

And another TSM Server, running on windows 2003, server 5.5.3, this when it backs up data on this site, it backs it up as data files, (NODE2)

Of which it then is migrated to a VIRT_TAPE ( WHich is on nodea1)
HOwever when it is migrated the files are still kept on node1, and eventually deleted via a retention policy.

I never set this up, it was set up a year or so ago by a conmsultant , so there is a little issue of confusion over this.

Anyway, we now have implemented MS EXCHANGE 2007 and using TDP 6.1 to back this up. HOwever for node2, we have 2 TB of disk space, and this only gives us enough space to take 4 FULL back ups a month, including 2 incrementals daily.

So my question is this, how can I control how data is migrated from nodea 2 to node 1?...I.e Move the oldest FULL backup of 5 weeks old to node 1, ? SO that we always have the most recent 4 weeks FULL backup on site while the rest is migrated to node 1, and backed up to tape.

Any ideas. I had looked a tthe idea of running the move data command, but then for restores you need to know which volume your data is on to move the data back, and this proves to be an admin nightmare.

So far havent found anything controlling migration process.

here is details of node 2

tsm: NODE2_TSM>q stg

Storage Device Estimated Pct Pct High Low Next Stora-
Pool Name Class Name Capacity Util Migr Mig Mig ge Pool
Pct Pct
----------- ---------- ---------- ----- ----- ---- --- -----------
EXGPOOL ITSMSTG1 0.0 M 0.0 100.0 90 70
VIRT_TAPE NODE1_TSM 46,328 G 4.6
WIN_DISK ITSMSTG1 2,402 G 82.0 82.0 100 99

tsm: NODE2_TSM>

Thanks

thanks