Migrating TSM to SAN environment

sotonyi

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We have SP2 environment with 6 nodes and one tsm server at level 4.2.3.4, we are using 3494 tape library with 3590 B1A drives and the TSM server is direct attached to each drive with SCSI.

We would like to upgrade the B1A drives of the 3494 from SCSI to H1A Fiber channel and TSM from LAN to SAN environment. We have the necessary 2109 F16 FC switches. We would like to use LAN-free data transfer in our new environment.

What are the main steps of this migration?

Do I need to copy all my axisting tape to the new format?

I read a Redbook about it but still there're a lot of questions.

If somebady has experience in this topic, then please contact me:

[email protected]

Well, the first thing you will need to do is upgrade your TSM server to 5.x, because the 4.x TSM servers do not support a LAN-free environment. You will need the SAN infrastructure to do this as well, you did not indicate if you had a fiber director available (for example).

No, you should not have to change any of your existing tapes, the internals of drive will take care of the read/write stuff.

If you have more questions, feel free to post them here.

1) upgrade the TSM server from 4.2 to 5.2

2) upgrade the TSM clients from 4.2 to 5.2 SAN clients

3) let IBM to upgrade my drives in library

4) connect the drives to the san switches

5) define new device and drive definitions in TSM 5.2

6) define stgpool definitions for the new device

7) checkout all tape from library and check them in to the shared library

If my old stgpool contains the definition of my cartridges then how can I migrate those contents to the new stgpool?

Your drive definitions are in your devconfig NOT your stgpool definitions. When you get your device configuration right you should be all set ( as long as the devconfig still has the same name).

Back