Migrating metadata in 6.1

jack123

Newcomer
Reaction score
New Feature of TSM6.1 is migrating data and metadata between servers..

Anybody know how to send metadata between tsm servers?

what command?

I think you're referring to a feature known as "Server-Server Storage Pool Volume Transfer". You'll only export the metadata between the TSM servers and move the tapes physically. There is no need to export the data on the tapes that way, which would be very nice :)

Indeed that did not made it into the initial release. See http://tsmblog.org/serendipity/inde...rver-Server-Storage-Pool-Volume-Transfer.html for more information and a slide/image of this new feature.

ahh...thanks syntax44 for clarifying my point - the difference being export by node or not.

Now I have another thought/question after reading your ref. material. Would it be possible to migrate all data to tape on TSM 5.5 (shared library); export just DB metadata to a TSM 6.1 server with :
export server filedata=none followed by the import to TSM 6.1

And then just audit the library from the TSM 6.1 server? Can the data on tape remain unchanged from TSM 5.5 to TSM 6.1?

Never mind...duh...that's the same principal as using the migration tools to migrate to another server and not needing to migrate the data regardless if it's on tape or disk. So this sounds like a good plan for me to finish my TSM 5.5 to TSM 6.1 migration since we can empty our disk pools to do the final import/export of just the metadata.

Last edited:
Back