Max Volumes in Library for TSM

rowl

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am working with a ProtecTIER VTL, using TS3500 library emulation and LTO drive emulation. With the library setup tool I can create over 63,000 volumes in the library. The platform is AIX 6.1 and TSM version 5.5.2.1.

In a 150 TB repository I created a library with 40,000 volumes, 128 drives. When I tried to define a path to the library controller TSM reported a generic I/O error to the device. When I deleted and recreated this library with 20,000 volumes it worked fine.

So it appears there is some limit in TSM as to the maximum number of volumes that can exist in a library managed by TSM. Has anyone run into a maximum volume limit issue before? I am curious if there are any published best practices around defining a virtual library based on the physical devices being emulated.

Thanks,
-Rowl

It could be that TSM knows what a TS3500 is and knows the limitations of that library. Since 40K was too much but 20K wasn't, I'd imagine the magic number is 32768 (32K) or there abouts. I've never heard of TSM having a limit before but most people don't define that many volumes either.

-Aaron

Try adding more volumes afterward and see if TSM will accept it. Also, make certain your maximum usable volume is updated within TSM to more than 20k.

The maximum physical slots the TS3500 library will allow is 6559, so TSM may be in conflict with this.

Back