manually expiring volume

td3201

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We have a storage pool that is not needed any more. It has a lot of tape volumes assigned to it. This is a copy pool and the tapes can simply be made scratch tapes. How do I do this? delete volume doesnt appear to do what I would expect. Any ideas?

Hi,

how do you mean "delete volume doesn't appear to do what I would expect"?
Have you used "del vol XYZ discard=yes"?
What is the error?

Hope it helps

Harry

I deleted a volume with:
del vol tht001l1 discard=yes

The volume no longer shows up (as expected) but I expected it to add it as a scratch volume. Do I need to label the volume now?

Well, how do I achieve the overall goal of getting rid of this storage pool and making its volumes scratch volumes?

Thanks!

After the volume has had all it's data removed from it and the volume is deleted, one of two things should happen. If the volume has "scratch=yes" set on it, it should return to the scratch pool. If the volume has "scratch=no" on it, it will remain in the pool as an empty volume and can be written to again.

Does the volume tht001l1 have scratch=yes set for it? (can find this out by using `q vol tht001l1 f=d`

-Aaron

after it was deleted, the volume cant be queried:
tsm: server>q vol tht001l1
ANR2034E QUERY VOLUME: No match found using this criteria.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

I must have to label it now?

Is it a library volume?

q libvol {lib_name} tht001l1

-Aaron

Yup, did that. Completed successfully. Should I be able to query it?

Also, is this the right procedure to remove those volumes from the storage pool I want to delete:
1) delete volume
2) label volume
DO ABOVE FOR ALL VOLUMES IN STORAGE POOL
3) delete stgpool
??

I want all these tapes to simply be scratch tapes (i think).

Check those tape using the command LABEL LIBVOL <libraryname> checkin=scratch labelsource=barcode search=bulk overwrite=yes

Hope that helps.

That requires them to be in the library too?

If you delete a volume that has "scratch=yes" set, then it will be removed from the storage pool it was in and returned to the scratch pool. It will show up as a library volume, but not as a normal volume. Once TSM asks for a new scratch tape, it will pull one from the scratch pool.

There should be no need to re-label the volume or check it into the library.

-Aaron

You can verify that what Aaron is saying has actually happened with the command he gave earlier:

q libvol * tht001l1

It should come up as scratch in the status column.

Let's break this down because I am not seeing what you guys are saying. I deleted THT001L1. It is no longer showing up:
tsm: SERVER>q libvol * tht001l1 f=d
ANR2034E QUERY LIBVOLUME: No match found using this criteria.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

Again, I want to completely get rid of a copy storage pool that is no longer needed but need to remove the volumes from that storage pool first.
1) What should I do with these volumes? make them scratch? how?
2) Once I do ^ this with the volumes, will I be able to remove the storage pool?

Thanks guys for your patience. I am just not asking clear questions.

Hi,
to remove the storage pool, you have to get rid off all the volumes in it.
If you are sure you do not need that data, do following:
q vol <stgpool_name>
(lists the volumes)
delete vol <volume_name> discard=yes
for all the volumes in question

then you can delete the stgpool

del stgpool <pool_name>

Volumes should become scratch automaticaly - you will not see them under "q vol" - only in "q libvol" - when they are in the library ... if the volumes are not in the library, you will not see them at all (you have to check them in using "checkin libvol ... " command)

Better now?

Harry

Ah, yes...as copypool volumes are almost never onsite, you'll almost never see them return to the scratch pool. You'll need to recall those copypool volumes from the vault manually and then check them into the library as scratch.

Had this been a primary pool volume, when you deleted the volume it would have returned to the scratch pool.

-Aaron

OK, so I can run:
checkin libvol lb6.0.0.3 tht001l1 status=scratch

on all the volumes in that pool? It is giving me an error on that. Do I have to tell TSM that the data on these is no longer good somehow?

Thanks!

I think I got it. I can delete these volumes if their scratch is set to 'yes'. Once deleted, I can then check them into the library as needed as scratch. Once all the volumes are deleted, I can delete this storage pool and life is good (kinda). You guys were great help through my poor explanations.

Back