Manual lib doesn't see tape

Eps

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have manual library hp StorageWorks SDLT 320 for one tape. Installed TSM 5.5 on PC.

TSM isc-console doesn't see the tape. It sees the drive, but not the tape in. Tape is SuperDLTtape I 160/320Gb. Before I labeled tape with MediaWizard in ManagamentConsole.

I tried to delete the lib and redefine it. Same problem, driver is ok but not the tape.

What may I do?

Thanks,
Eps.

I tried to use from TSM and also from StorageWorks.

In Manegement Console I can see the tape. But no scratch pool or something that are there.

In isconsole, there is only lib and no tape.

For TSM on Windows, you need to disable the Remote Storage Management facility for TSM to work properly. You must use TSM provided drivers.

I already disabled RSM.

tsmdlst.exe shows me no TSMScsi driver is running. This is strange because my manual library uses it. Windows Device Manager shows this.

WinXP after reboot change automatically driver back to HP one.

So.. I installed WS2003 and TSM 5.5 also.

Now when I put tape in to drive, drive thinks for some time and drops the tape back to me.

This tapes were before under NTBackup software. Maybe problem is in tape format? But I can't even format it, lib drops the tape so fast.

During install(wizards) I had problem with domain, so I stopped the wizard, brought TSM machine into domain and then continued my wizards.

Maybe my solution is to reinstall whole TSM.

So.. I installed WS2003 and TSM 5.5 also.

Now when I put tape in to drive, drive thinks for some time and drops the tape back to me.

This tapes were before under NTBackup software. Maybe problem is in tape format? But I can't even format it, lib drops the tape so fast.

During install(wizards) I had problem with domain, so I stopped the wizard, brought TSM machine into domain and then continued my wizards.

Maybe my solution is to reinstall whole TSM.

Can you try using a fresh tape? If this doesn't do the trick, try reinstalling from scratch TSM and your OS. By looking at your post, I believe you just upgraded to Win2003

By the way, install the base 5.5 and patch it to a later version.

Last edited:
Can you try using a fresh tape? If this doesn't do the trick, try reinstalling from scratch TSM and your OS. By looking at our post, I believe you just upgraded to Win2003

By the way, install the base 5.5 and patch it to a later version.

On Monday I'l try a new tape.

There was no upgrade, I made hard drive format and then reinstalled new OS. But how I sayed before, during installation some difficulties happened...

Under patches, You mean this
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&uid=swg21239415 ?

Thanks.

Yes. Version 5.5.x.x; get the latest.

I am downloading this fixes right now.

When I was putting the new tape in, drive droped it back.
I updated drives firmware to the latest, from HP site.
Drive itself uses TSM SCSI driver.

After firmware upgrade,when I put new tape in - no dropping occures. But TSM do not add this tape as scratch fot itself. I have lib with no scrach volume. Drive status is Reserved. When I want backup base to tape, I get that "The object you are attemping to access is currently in use by another session or process."

And also, I reinstalled WS2003. TSM install was maked with IBM TSM installation manual.

Just have no idea, what can be done...

Back