Managing Tapes in Library When Library Is About To Run Out Of Space

BLGADMIN

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.blg.co.uk
Is it me or companies and firms feel that backups are not important? That we as backup administrators just put a tape into some device, run some programs and hey presto we have a backup? Sometimes, I just want to..... I better not say as this is a respectable forum.

Anyway, I gave a report to our "IT Director" and pointed out the fact that we are running low on space in our IBM 3584 tape library and that we would need to invest in an additional frame. "I don't have the money. See if you can stop some backups from running to save on space and I will see if we can put it into the next quarter budget". STOP SOME BACKUPS!!!!!!!

Being the person that he is, I don't think I'm going to see the additional frame until I retire. So I have taken some drastic messures. We have two copies of all of our data, one onsite and the other offsite. As we are a law firm, we have to keep everything (so you can see why we are running low on space). I have had to remove older tapes from the onsite copy pool, stored them in our firesafe so I can get scratch tapes in. I was told, by my third party company that did the work on TSM to make the tape unavailable and it's location to be 'FIRESAFE'. The reason why the volume information is set to unavailable is to stop Space Reclamation and Migration from trying to touch those tapes. Because of this, when I go to do a resort, I get an error message saying data not available on server. So I have to then update the volume status to 'readwrite', run the restore again and find out which tape I need to complete.

Is there an easier way? Apart from the fact that I have taken tapes out of the library, am I doing something wrong?

Any help you can give will be great.

Thanks

H

:confused:

Back