Management Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

redrum781

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,I have a windows server daily scheduled to backup d: and e: to tsm server.What I would like to do now is schedule a weekly and monthly backup of the same drives to different stgp. I have set up management classes with new stgpools. How would I make the schedule to backup to non-default management class? Would I add a certain option during define schedule?

Hi,

for this purpose try to use archives or backupsets generation.
Or you can create another nodename for the same machine with new mgmtclass with mode set to absolute pointing to new stgpool.

Harry

Hi there,

I have already seen threads about creating additional nodenames but all are aix/linux related. How would that be accomplished in windows?

I have checked this thread about creating new stanzas but that's aix related...

Create another dsm.opt file - dsm_nodeA.opt or dsm2.opt.
The information in new dsm.opt would look the same as the original except for the
node name. Do set the schedlogname and the errorlogname paramter. If there is a problem is the error message from node A or node B.

To start the second node got to use the -optfile parameter.

dsmc -optfile=\path\to\new\dsm.opt

Since there are going to be two dsm.opt files, got to have two schedule services.
One for the orginal node and another one for the new node.

Good Luck
Sias

Hi, led888.

How would it be if I define additional nodes to tsm server, create additional coresponding dsm.opt files (dsm_weekly.opt, dsm_monthly.opt), and make schedule execute "dsmc incremental -optfile c:\something\dsm_weekly.opt" on the client? Do I still need additional schedule services?

hi,
go to your TSM Server, Register a new node as you like. Set it up to your mgmtclass and scheduler. You can do this with commandline or ISC.

go to your Client, copy the dsm.opt to another name and edit the new as you like.
open your client gui. use the setup assistent to install a new scheduler and tell the new scheduler which *.opt he have to use.
you can edit the opt file with
NODENAME xxxxxxxxx

Michael

Hi, led888.

How would it be if I define additional nodes to tsm server, create additional coresponding dsm.opt files (dsm_weekly.opt, dsm_monthly.opt), and make schedule execute "dsmc incremental -optfile c:\something\dsm_weekly.opt" on the client? Do I still need additional schedule services?

You could do that but its the dodgy way, and you won't get proper reporting of the backup success/failure results as from tsm's perspective you're just running a command, not a proper backup schedule.

OK then,

so I should do it the way axisminden said: create additional weekly and monthly opt files and install additional schedulers. On TSM register new nodes for weekly and monthly and create additional schedules for weekly and monthly backup.
How would I direct a certain scheduler service to use certain opt file?

I'm assuming, as the default scheduler service runs as "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmcsvc.exe", that weekly should be run as "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmcsvc.exe -optfile C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm_weekly.opt"
Would that be correct?

Or should I just create service by running sc create TSM_SCHED_WEEKLY binPath="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmcsvc.exe -optfile C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm_weekly.opt" without running client setup wizard to create new scheduler service?

this is what i have use:

dsmcutil install Scheduler /name:"Tsmsched_xx" /clientdir:"C:\programme\tivoli\tsm\baclient" /optfile:C:\Programme\Tivoli\tsm\baclient\dsm_xx.opt /node:XXXXX /password:password /validate:yes /autostart:yes /startnow:yes
the coresponding dsm.opt files must exist.
the opt file say's what to backup. include/exclude and so on.
the time to start is a call from the server. if have it config so.

michael

Great!

A big thank you to all you guys for help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back