Logical Library Configuration

wsimps01

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Greetings All,
My current environment is a 3584 Library (TS3500) using 8 LTO4 drives. I have a tsm instance running as the library manager and a single library client (production server). Everything is running on AIX 7.1 TSM level 6.3.400.
Right now we are using the unsupported version of EKM and I want to move off of it.

Someone mentioned setting up an unencrypted Logical Library tsm instance. I have looked at several documents but can't seem to wrap my head around it so just looking for some clarity or if anyone has done this their expertise.

I am assuming the following:
1. Need to create a new tsm library instance (master)
2. Eventually define the existing library client to this new library master instance
3. Define new device class (for me LTO) and use it as the 'next pool' vs old tape pool

I know that I will have to disassociate some drives from the existing lib config to define to the new one. In my case I am going to go with 6 on the new and leave 2 on the old.
Make sense so far?

My confusion is do I have to define the elements via the hardware library gui for each tsm library instance? How will TSM know what tapes to use? I assume I can use existing scratch for the new one but how?

I just can't seem to process the correlation from the slots/tapes in TSM to the physical hardware.
Anyone know of any in depth links or Redbooks? Suggestion, comment are welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Back