local pool tape will not scratch

markac

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a tape in my library that will not changed from private to scratch. The tape has no data on it and it currently resides in the tape library. A reclamation does not access it and I am not sure how to make it scratch. Can anyone help?

Query the volume to see if any contents are on there. You can also do a "move data <VOL> reconstruct=yes" to move data off the volume and update it as scratch. Also, query the volume for any errors (w/ f=d option).

Mike

Hi Mike,
There are no read/write errors. I will try to move data as soon as my migration and copy to offsite pool tasks are finished.

Hi Mike,
The following error was observed when the move data was attempted;
ANR8356E Incorrect volume 847AEHL1 was mounted instead of volume 845AEHL1 in library LTOLIB. (SESSION: 3805, PROCESS: 1463).

I was trying to move data from 845AEHL1

have you try to relabel it using "label libvolume" command with parameter "overwrite=yes"

Can you query the volumes itself and its contents?
Code:
tsm> query vol 845AEHL1
tsm> query vol 847AEHL1

tsm> query content 845AEHL1
tsm> query content 847AEHL1
You might need to move data off 847 and relabel it if there's some sort of conflict between 847 and 845. Once you know 847 is empty, relabel it and then move data off 845.

"query mount" to show which tape is getting mounted and onto which drive, etc.

Mike

If the tape label and the physical label agree, it may be in the wrong slot. Audit your library.

Hi Johanw,
the audit library failed with errors ANR8304E - time out on drive1; ANR8912E - unable to verify the label of volume from slot-element 4142 in drive 1; ANR8460E - AUDIT LIBRARY process failed. I am thinking of physically checking the volume at slot-element 4142.

Hi
What's the error you get when you try
update libvol libraryname volumename status=scratch for that volume?
and
what's the latest log in q volhist for that volume?

Hi Johanw,
the audit library failed with errors ANR8304E - time out on drive1; ANR8912E - unable to verify the label of volume from slot-element 4142 in drive 1; ANR8460E - AUDIT LIBRARY process failed. I am thinking of physically checking the volume at slot-element 4142.

Log onto your LTO (or within TSM) and see with volume is in slot 4142. This volume might be in "private" status and with a last_use of null (and the volume is not scratch). You need to update the status of the volume before audit will complete.

Mike

btw, try the below to view a list of volumes with last_use status of null and is not scratch status:
Code:
tsm> select * from libvolumes where last_use is null

hi mike,

no records were fetched from the select statement

Hi all,
I was able to move the data and scratch the tape in question. I move the tape that was getting problem from slot 4142 to a new slot then run the audit libary command. after the audit library was completed I then move the data and scratch the tape. Thanks for all the support given.

even though the problem has been resolved how do I check the tape slot from with in TSM. I did my check from the LTO library.

Q LIBV F=D
SHOW SLOTS <libr>

Esp. q libv shows what TSM wants reality to be and is not necessarily correct.

Back