Linux Mount Proxy Node Issue

dcharles226

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue where I get a Status: Unknown when I validate the Linux node of our mount proxy node pair.

Everything else is working as normal, the Windows mount proxy works fine and shows a Status of "Running"

The dsmcad service is running properly on the Linux host itself and I can connect to the tsm server fine from the Linux client as well. When validating the selected node pair, all fields are correct for the Linux node, except for the Status, which is Unknown, and the error message I get is "Unknown system error"

We are running TSM Server 7.1.1 on Red Hat 6.2. The TSM VE version running on the Linux (CentOS 6.7) mount proxy is 7.1.4

Also, another question: do I need to install cygwin on the Windows Mount Proxy in order for it to connect to the Linux Mount Proxy, or does the Linux Mount Proxy work independently from the Windows one? When restoring Linux VMs, which mount proxy would I be using? I know it's possible to mount Linux VMs through the TSM Recovery Agent on Windows, but I am not able to access the drive.

Please forgive these simple questions, after reading through IBM's documentation I am still a little confused on the mount proxy proper configuration. It seems that the documentation is leaving some items out.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have your TDPVMware installed on a Linux system and your mount proxy is Windows?

Yes, our TSM for VE installation is on Cent OS 6 and I have a Windows Mount Proxy which is Server 2008. The Windows Mount Proxy is for Windows VM restores, and we have another separate Linux Mount Proxy. This is the host I am having issues with. From my understanding there needs to be at least one Windows Mount Proxy and one Linux Mount Proxy and they have to work in pairs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, I have already followed the steps outlined in that webpage. The dsmcad service is running on that box also. The only problems I'm having now is that I am getting a "Status Unknown" message on the VM Web gui Configuration Status for the Linux and actually mounting any Linux VMs doesn't seem to actually work.

The 'unknown' error making it really hard to troubleshoot, try searching the logs for additional information about why you are getting this error or even try a mount and see what's the error message you are getting.

Yes I agree, the problem with mounting a VM is that I can't even do that. When I try to set up the connection to our main backup server in the TSM Recovery Agent, nothing happens, which is very very odd. Sometimes I would get a "FBP0046E Failed to connect to the Recovery Agent CLI" error, which means that cygwin needs to be installed on the Windows Mount Proxy. I am in the process of setting that up to see if that resolves the issue.

Back