Linux BMR

uno

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi.
Are there any guides or official documents for doing a bare metal restore of a Linux machine using only TSM backups and the TSM BA client? I have found some info about TBMR and a 10 year old redbook, which has manual backups of system files as a prerequisite.

I have created a working (Debian) Live CD with the latest TSM client. I booted the restore system with this CD, partitioned the disk to match the backed up system and then restored all files. I then chrooted into the restored environment and installed grub on the disk. When rebooting, I got a bunch of errors about missing mountpoints (like /sys). I booted the live cd again, and manually created directories for all the missing mount points. After that, I could successfully boot the restored system. But I am a bit worried that something else is missing, something that does not generate an error message.
Maybe I should first install the same OS level on the target system as on the restored system, to make sure all system files exist, and after that boot from the live CD and restore the files with replace=all.

Yes, I know about Cristies, but I wanted to check if there are any good ways of doing this without buying additional software.

If you are using SUSE SLES 10 or later, it has a good recovery strategy which I had used before. Other than that, you may really want Cristie's solution for non-hardware dependent BMR.

Hi,You can do BMR recovery with FASTBACK

Back