Limit the storage capacity of each client node? (Backup service using TSM)

goodboy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We use TSM to supply backup service to customers. From the point of business, we think about 2 models:
1. Pakage-based service (Create pre-defined ackages such as 50GB, 100GB,... Customers choose one of them and enjoy):
+ How to limit the storage capacity for each client node? (- One storage pool for each client node, and limit capacity of the storage pool. I think it's crazy beacause it's difficult to manage and make performance low)
2. On-demand service (Charge for storage occupancy at the end of month, year)
+ Create some storage pool and share for all client nodes, like TSM concept. Do not limit the storage capacity for each customer. Base on the storage occupancy at the end of month or year, we will charge customers. It's ok but not perfect. Because customers can delete backup data to reduce storage occupancy before billing.

Can you share me some experience for this problem? Thanks!

As you said, #2 makes more sense.

To prevent customers to erase data to save money, you could collect occupancy daily and do an average at the end of the month before billing.

Hi
#3 could be better. #3 is a mix of #1 and #2.
You can create several storage pools based on 'categories'. I mean depending on your clients retention needs, type of data (file server, database, etc), offsite copy, etc you can group them in those 'categorized' storage pools. That way your reclamation, migration, and overal usage of media could be (more) efficient. Even inside those storage pools you can use collocation.

But I guess you have restore SLAs, you have to balance them against backup and management efficiency. Often restore efficiency reduces backup/management efficiency and viceversa.

Rudy

The current company I work for does exactly what you describe for various customers. We basically follow rule 2. Rule 2 works better than a predefined package because customers ALWAYS underestimate then scream when things start failing. Then you have to go back and redefine their package and it because a hassle for the account managers who then make your life miserable. Best to always bill monthly on a capacity usage standpoint. PAY-AS-YOU-GROW is the way to go!

goodboy-

Both options are good...You should have a the base package with a predetermine cost as how you have lay out in option #1. Option #2 should be an Ad-hoc cost for on demand request cost and charge them for the average usage of the month/year.

If you don't have a base cost as a charge back. The customer can and will use it to their advantage and delete most of the data before the bill send out...

Back