Library sharing error

wizkidhope32

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi was hoping someone would be able to help me with a small problem.

I am running library sharing (just set it up). The library manger is AIX 5.1 with TSM 5.2.2 and everything works fine locally. The issue is that when I run a simple "update stg" on the library client (Windows 2000 Sp3 TSM 5.1.6) so that migration will start I get a tape loaded fine however into the library however I get an "ANR8779E - unable to open drive /dev/rmt2 error number=3" I have looked at this error in the messages redbook and it does not tell you very much on what the problem is and how to solve it.

Has anyone run into this problem and if so what did you do to fix????

Thanks,

Brian :confused:

I think the method used between AIX and windows is NOT the same so that a tape written to on AIX cannot be read by Windows (and vice versa)

Also, with TSM 5.1 and above, the library master must have the paths defined to the drives (such as rmt1) the exact same as on the client (rmt1) If both sides don't see the same device as the same rmt, then it will not work.

-Aaron

Thanks for the input.

I do have the paths all setup and they seem to be working. I do have communication with the library as I can load a tape in from the library client. I am not sure that I am reading you correctly when you state that the method used between AIX and Windows is NOT the same so the tape written to AIX cannont be read by windows (and vice bersa).

My understanding is that TSM works on it's own database independent of the operating system. If you have some information that shows this not to be the case please forward a link or point me in the direction of this information.

Thanks for your help.

I was having some problems where my lone AIX server was running out of gas to do the 300 windows clients. I was given a Win2000 server to test as an additional TSM server. I had the paths and library sharing setup so that everything seemed to be ready but when the library master would load a tape, the windows-based library client could not read the label of the tape. I thought it was a bad tape and tried a new one and same thing. I then relabeled the tape on the AIX server and still no luck. When I labeled the tape on the Windows server, it would work but when the AIX server then tried to use the same tape after it became scratch again, it complained that it wasn't labeled. It appears to me that AIX and Windows writes to the tapes in different ways so that one cannot read from the other.

I don't have an IBM document that says you can't, I only say this from what I've done. From what I can tell, a Unix (AIX, HP, Solaris, etc) can share libraries without issue and Windows servers can share wih another Windows server, but the two platforms can't share between them.

Maybe I had different versions of atape/drivers/whatever....but I couldn't get the two to share the same set of tapes no matter what I did. If you can get it to work, let me know since it will save me about $100K in hardware for next year.

-Aaron

I do not know if this directly applies, but we have 2 AIX TSM servers, 1 AIX LAN Free and 1 Win2k LAN Free that all use the same 3494 Library. The AIX TSM servers have no problem reading and doing reclamation on the tapes written to by the Win2k server.

What tape drives are you using. That may be the difference.

Andy

Thank you both for the replies. I am assuming that you are using fibre drives for your LAN free backups. (I don't know how else you may be doing this) I have SCSI IBM LTO GEN 1 Ultrium drives in a STK L180 silo. I am having no issues getting a tape to load into the drives from the library client (win2k sp3) with TSM 5.1.6. The UNIX system is AIX 5.1L with TSM 5.2.2. I am guessing that you both may be right in the compatibility of the way the labels are written. If you have any idea's that may help I am extremly interested in getting this to work. I have contacted IBM-Tivoli (Pre-Sales support FE) and he is investigating. If I get it working I will pass the information on.

Thanks

Thank you both for the replies. I am assuming that you are using fibre drives for your LAN free backups. (I don't know how else you may be doing this) I have SCSI IBM LTO GEN 1 Ultrium drives in a STK L180 silo. I am having no issues getting a tape to load into the drives from the library client (win2k sp3) with TSM 5.1.6. The UNIX system is AIX 5.1L with TSM 5.2.2. I am guessing that you both may be right in the compatibility of the way the labels are written. If you have any idea's that may help I am extremly interested in getting this to work. I have contacted IBM-Tivoli (Pre-Sales support FE) and he is investigating. If I get it working I will pass the information on.

Thanks

Andy,

Are you saying that you have a total of 4 servers on the same 3494 or 2 servers and 2 LAN-Free clients?

-Aaron

We have 2 TSM servers and 2 LAN free clients. (and about 9 AS/400's, but that's another story) The LAN free clients act like servers excpet they only back themselves up. (they mount and write to tapes)

Andy

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>The library manger is AIX 5.1 with TSM 5.2.2 and everything works fine locally.

(Windows 2000 Sp3 TSM 5.1.6) "ANR8779E - unable to open drive /dev/rmt2 error number=3" </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey,

If I understand correctly:

The problem sounds like bad path configurations on the library manager.

* When your windows server wants to backup something, it asks the AIX server to load a tape (say from scratch).

* The AIX server uses the /dev/xxx device to load the tape to the library.

* What happens now is that the Windows server tries to access that drive using the PATH defined for it on the AIX (which are in unix format and not windows format) and fails.

Unfortunatly I have dissolved our library sharing configuration, so I can't check for you.

But try looking at the path defenitions on the library manager (the AIX) and defining the correct ones for the windows library client, you should be able to get this to work..

If your TSM server is 5.2 and you are using TSMStorageAgent 5.2.0, then all clients that use StoreageAgent must be at 5.2. Also the AIX Atape.driver should be 8.3.1.0. I not sure what kind of library you are using but we use an IBM 3583, if the tape path is define wrong you'll have problems, example if you define the AIX tape path drive1 as /dev/rmt1 and the LUN number match /dev/rmt2 AIX will be confused. Hope this helps, may not.

Back