Library Client on Rhel

naresh4u2007

Newcomer
Reaction score
We have a TS4500 library with library manager running RHEL with lin_tape drivers.

We have library manager clients running on Windows where the access to tapes are working fine, now we have new RHEL clients where we are having some issues getting the tape mounts to work. Two different cases with IBM ongoing, one hardware and one software.

Software case they are saying to use lin_tape drivers, but hardware says to use IBM device drivers ref Independent Software Vendor (ISV) matrix for LTO (ibm.com).

We tried using lin_tape on library manger clients, but that seemed to cause some sort of conflict with paths going offline and /dev/IBM* dissapearing on the library manager.

Anyone who has experience with which drivers the library manger clients running on RHEL should be using?

Hi,

I have a ts4500, I am using rhel (with lin_tape) as library manager, and I have used both AIX and rhel as libraryclients (all with lin_tape).

I guess the question is how you have configured udev rules and module options for library manager and clients. I have added some samples.

You need to make sure that your tape/library devices have the same name/reference on all systems. Otherwise you may end up with a awful mess when library manager is giving out drives to your clients.

If you can share module config and udev rules on manager and client, then I can hopefully help out further.

Code:
Module config (rather plain)

[root@host]# cat lin_tape.conf
options lin_tape alternate_pathing=1

Udev rules:

[root@host]# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-lin_tape.rules
*  Generic access for read/write to our tsm user running dsmserv *
KERNEL=="IBM*", OWNER="tsmsrv", GROUP="tsmsrv", MODE="0660"
*  Map a libray manager path to a symlink based on serial number.  Otherwise you never know where it goes (important when you have virtual libraries)
KERNEL=="IBMchanger*", ATTR{serial_num}=="0000078BA0640402", SYMLINK="lin_tape/ts-lto"

*  For each tape drive, map serial number to a path.
KERNEL=="IBMtape*", ATTR{serial_num}=="000787BD1B", SYMLINK="lin_tape/lto8-f2c1r1"

Hello Trident,

we copied the same udev rules from library manger server to library client.

KERNEL=="IBMtape*[!n]", ATTR{serial_num}=="00000xxxxxx",SYMLINK="lin_tape/by-id/tapedrive_00000xxxxxx"
KERNEL=="IBMchanger*[!n]",ATTR{serial_num}=="00000xxxxx",SYMLINK="lin_tape/by-id/changer_00000xxxxx"

KERNEL=="IBMchanger*", NAME="%k", OWNER="tsminst1", GROUP="root"
KERNEL=="IBMtape*[!n]", NAME="%k", OWNER="tsminst1", GROUP="root"
KERNEL=="IBMtape*n", NAME="%k", OWNER="tsminst1", GROUP="root"

Back