Is your TSM v6 slower than v5?

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
I recently stood up four v6.2 TSM Windows servers on new IBM xSeries servers. My existing two v5.5 TSM Windows servers move data to tape a lot faster than my beefy new v6.2 TSM servers. The servers all read/write to the same tape TS1120 drives. My older but faster v5.5 servers have a single 2Gb HBA dedicated/zoned to seven tape drives. My new v6.2 servers have two dedicated 4Gb HBA's connected to the same seven TS1120 tape drives, but 3 drives are zoned to one HBA and 4 drives are zoned to the other HBA.

My older v5.5 servers with the single 2Gb HBA average between 126 and 163 MB/s when migrating data from the disk pools to tape. My shiney new TSM servers are dual processor xSeries machines with six cores and 128G of RAM with dual 4Gb HBA's and the best they can average is between 60 - 97 MB/s!

My v5.5 servers are running on W2K3, and all my new v6.2 servers are running on W2K8. All servers are using the IBM tape driver v6.2.1.5, and all servers use diskpools on the same DS8300 storage device.

My v6.2 TSM install was pretty much "out of the box". I have not changed any settings except MAXSESSION. Right now I don't know if this is a W2K8 issue, or a TSM v6.2 issue. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look at to make my new TSM servers run as fast as my old ones?

Thanks,
D

Look at txngroupmax. You should have 4096 but i think that is default in 6.2.

\Masonit

mmh, hard to say. This will be my topic for the next year, migrating from 1 tsm 5.5 to 2 tsm 6.3.

How ever. I alway have in my mind, that we ever should check to run the latest tsm drivers! may this could be an issue. Further more there where some hints from IBM about the setting of the HBA for connecting a drive. Maybe you should ask the hardware support for the optimal configuration.

Regards

Marcus

Back