Is Anybody doing this.....

n9kws

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We are just getting started in HSM, and I am wondering if anybody else is doing this??

I would like to compare notes with somebody who is.

Andy.

Well we have been attempting to implement a TSM HSM system for some 18 months now!

It kind of works, but we are still having SERIOUS problems with

1) NFS access to HSM-enabled filesystems

2) 'lockouts' ie other users can't even CD into space-managed directories while files are being recalled

3) Serious performance problems with space-managed files which are 'pre-migrated' ie on disk AND have been out to tape.

We've been through the loop both with IBM and our supplier & basically have had no luck getting things straightened out.

We are using TSM server 4.2 on Solaris 8, with HSM client 5.1.0

The files we are using are big (150Mb up to 3Gb each).

Hope you are having better experiences!

Phil :confused:

I've been running a VERY similar configuration for over a year now. Haven't seen the same exact problems....apparent hangs or lockups during file retrieves. I have seen my fair share of oddball stuff though and I imagine the differences lie more in differences between particular OS filesystem structures. After upgrading to 5.1 though we DID notice a problem specific to NFS exported HSM'd filesystems at the 5.1.0 code level. It actually caused a condition where HSM became EXTREMELY sensitive to any error conditions in the inclexcl file. The net effect was that the UNIX kernel was actually timing out (and subsequently locking up) NFS channels that were attempting to service HSM requests. It was a dicey problem and took a couple weeks to debug. There was a 5.1.5 patch set that correct the HSM/NFS related bugs.

PNS- Our environment is TSM 5.1 on AIX 4.3.3. Regarding NFS, the whole configuration was VERY sensitive to the order in which the filesystem monitor was mounted in comparison to refreshing the export and mounting the remote NFS filesystem. Caused one or two headaches but has been remarkably stable ever since. Our files are almost all 1GB for this particular application.

Back