IPs and Drive names different from primary location to DR. Can we do DR in this case?

helmsdeep

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Good Day to everyone...

We are using TSM 5.5 EE for primary location and 5.5 EE for DR location. We are directly taking clients backup to Tapes and using TS3584 Library. Now planning to implement DRM and i have a couple of doubts...

1. I created a copy pool in my primary location and assigned tapes to it.

2. I am backing up the primary stgpool data to copy pool daily by given "backup stgpool primarypool copypool" command.

3. Now i want to take this data to offsite and assign them in DR Server.

4. So i check out the tapes and take a DB backup onto tape and send it through courier to DR location and checkin the tapes at that site.

4.My doubt is that in primary location i have a client node ip as 10.16.11.11 and hostname as BANGREMDB and in DR location (the server supposed to be replacing BANGREMDB in case of a diaster recovery) has node ip as 10.19.11.11 and hostname as PUNREMDB.so Ips and hostnames are different for both the servers.

5. Now assume that i sent the tapes regularly to DR site.

6. Suddenly a disaster happened and my primary site went down.

7. Now i am only left with 10.19.11.11 PUNREMDB server. How can i recover the BANGREMDB data onto PUNREMDB server.

8. Do i need to have the same ip and hostname in DR also or can we recover the data in this case with different ips.

9. Also the Tape Drives WWN numbers are also different from primary location to DR location. so when we restore the primary DB to DR daily will this cause any problem. Can you please explain...

Thanks and Regards,
Helmsdeep.

Hi,

IPs do not matter - client contacts the server (so server does not need to know the clients IP at all) and as long as it knows the nodename and password, it is considered to be THE client.

There can be problem when restoring data with another hostname - as TSM uses (for windows) UNC filespace naming - so data of BANGREMDB C: drive are stored under \\bangremdb\c$\ filespace. When restoring on the machine with hostname PUNREMDB (using the same nodename) and you say "restore c:" then it tries to restore \\punremdb\c$. This is not the problem in the GUI and in the CLI can be easily resolved by specifying the filespace name for the restore.

WWNS and drive paths - it must be updated everytime you recover the TSM DB (as it is stored in TSM DB). As these things are still the same on the DR site, I would recommend creating a script for doing that (define DR library, define paths, drives, paths to drives, update devclasses to point to that library, run checkin scratch, run checkin private) to be run everythime after DB restore.

Harry

Thanks for ur quick reply Harry.

In this case nodename is different from primary location to DR. in primary location it is BANGREMDB and in DRit is PUNREMDB. andi am using AIXoperating system for both client and TSM server.I observed that inBANGREMDB when i take a backup you can see it in client using "q fi & q ba" commands. when i replace my TSM database and tapes in DR and login into PUNREMDB client and type "q fi and q ba" nothing is being shown. How can i see the contents backed up from BANGREMDB node in PUNREMDB?

Can you clarify this plzz...

In this case nodename is different from primary location to DR. in primary location it is BANGREMDB and in DRit is PUNREMDB. andi am using AIXoperating system for both client and TSM server.I observed that inBANGREMDB when i take a backup you can see it in client using "q fi & q ba" commands. when i replace my TSM database and tapes in DR and login into PUNREMDB client and type "q fi and q ba" nothing is being shown. How can i see the contents backed up from BANGREMDB node in PUNREMDB?

Have a look at the settings on dsm.opt and dsm.sys. The hostname - and IP address - of clients is irrelevant for TSM's purposes.

How can i see the contents backed up from BANGREMDB node in PUNREMDB?

Can you clarify this plzz...

If you are really not concerned about the node names and all, just data, then connect to TSM server with the node name BANGREMDB and restore in your DR site.

Or your requirement is specific to anything else?

Yes from PUNREMDB....with dsmc -virtualnode=BANGREMDB we can connect and bring the data back....

Thanks for all ur replies guys...really helpful to me....

Back