Installing TSM client in different path

denisl

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Is it possible to change the install path for UNIX TSM clients?

You could install it to the default location, move it to the location you want and then create sym links to the default location.

I wouldn't recommend this as an upgrade would be looking for it in the default location. Some systems (AIX) track software through other means as well (ODM)

-Aaron

Hi,

I would agree with heada, but would first create symlink than install. Doing so, you do not need to move files from source to target.

Regards, Olivier.

I was hoping for a --prefix type option. If I have to jump through hoops then it isn't worth it for ongoing support manageability. Having all TSM software in "/opt/tivoli", not "/opt/tivoli" and "/usr/tivoli" would make it easier to support (i.e. writing install scripts, instructions for SA's, etc.. ) You would think IBM would standardize the install location for unix platforms, and they screw up the one they own!!

I must admit that after thinking about it, it would make more sense for TSM on AIX to be installed under /opt/tivoli since every other flavor of UNIX uses that path. Not sure why they don't. Until they make the change though I would not try to mess with it.

IBM has the habit of installing all software for AIX under /usr and normally under /usr/lpp

Back in the ADSM days, it was /usr/lpp/adsm I think they just kept it from that. If they ever really re-write TSM, they might change it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

-Aaron

I noticed the the linux rpm accepts the --prefix option, but I guess that is a feature of rpm, not necessarily TSM. Oh well.. /usr/tivoli it is..

Back