Incremential forever explanation

slapelu

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am looking for a good document which will help me explain to upper management TSMs incremental forever stratgy. I understand but need a good EASY way to explain.

After the first full backup of a TSM client, only the files that are new or have changed are backed-up by TSM when running a scheduled backup. TSM doesn't need to do the weekly full plus incremental backup strategy. The reason is that TSM uses a relational DB to track the backup files at the file level. If the DB has a file in its storage pool and that file has not changed TSM won't back it up again. This incremental forever strategy is enabled by the database and reduces TCO by using less network bandwidth, less TSM server processing power, and fewer tapes and disk storage. Think of traditional backup as having a methodology around the backup job sending data to tape and every so often you need to backup a client in full to create a full tape (done to improve restore times). With TSM the database has a pointer to where the file is in the TSM storage repository and if the client still has this file (object) then TSM won't back it up again.

Back