Including a single directory off a Wintel server....

c.j.hund

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I need to set up a special backup to pick up a single directory off the C: drive on a Wintel box, excluding everything else (if possible). This is special case where I need to set up a new node and have it back up a directory hourly. This seems like it ought to be relatively simple, but the exclude.dir statement takes precedence of any include statements, so it seems something like this wouldn't work:

EXCLUDE.DIR C:\*
INCLUDE C:\BACKUPS\*

Any thoughts on the best way to configure this node to backup a single directory?

Sincere thanks,
C.J.

I thought about that, but I read that EXCLUDE.DIR takes precedence regardless of where it is in the order of the statements.

I think the exclude.dir is higher priority, no matter where in the dsm.opt it is positioned.

What would work is either:
DOMAIN C:
EXCLUDE C:\...\*
but this will backup the whole directory structure of C:

or define a share for C:\backups, e.g. \\servername\backups$
then this will work:
DOMAIN \\servername\backups$

Doing this:

DOMAIN C:
EXCLUDE C:\...\*

Seems not to work ... at least, it doesn't work when I run an incremental from the command line (while pointing to this special .opt file). It looks like I was picking up files under C:\Windows and C:\Program Files before I killed the backup. Does it make a differenence that I'm running this from a command line? Maybe a scheduled backup behaves differently.

My bad ... Sunhillow's suggestion above does work. I was seeing a bunch of 0 byte directory names being backed up and that threw me off. That seems to be the easiest way to pick up a single directory on a Wintel machine.

hmmm...
This should only include the directory structure, but no files other than under backups.

edit: great, so now I won't have to try this myself :)

Yes ... this seems to be the easiest way to implement this. True, you get the directory structure of the entire drive the first time, but that's not really a big deal (at least not to me in this case).

Back