Include/Excludes

dndzc5

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
:confused: This is Dave Cummings. I am running TSM 5.1 clients with YSM 5.1 Server running on a OS390 platform. I am having trouble with the action of my includes/excludes in my dsm.opt file. We are not running any Client Option sets. My problem is when I run a manual backup the folders that I explicity include/exclude in my dsm.opt file work. But when I schedule the backup with the client scheduler the includes/excludes seem to be ignored. I have been looking at this problem for the last 2 weeks and have tried several things (reordering the includes/excludes, grouping the exclude.dir together, etc) but nothing seems to change things. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Dave,

Do you happen to have multiple dsm.opt files on the machine? Maybe the scheduler picks up a wrong file...

I have searched the client and only found one dsm.opt file in c:\Program Files\Tivoil\TSM\baclient\ folder. My includes/excludes are bing completly ignored when the server does a scheduled backup. I have approximately 50 servers in the enterprise that have the TSM clients loaded and they all act the same. HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are the include/exclude in the dsm.opt file?

If it is, when the dsm.opt file was updated with the include/exclude information was the schedule service stop and restarted so that the dsm.opt file will be re-read?

If not or if you do not remember, stop and start the schedule service.

In the dsmsched.log and the dsmerror.log is there any error message?

Is there any error message in the actlog?

Are you using clopset?

Sias

The include\excludes are there and I have stopped and started the backup scheduler service. When I go into the sched log I see that the client talks to the server. Also we are in the process of figuring out how to use client option sets. We have not implemented any so far. This is a bizzare problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its interesting that the manual back see the include/exclude statements but not via the scheduler. Sounds like IBM/Tivoli need to look into this.

Is the TSM scheduler using the same permissions or rights when you log on?

What happen if you schedule the backup via the OS rather than with the TSM scheduler?

Sias

This may not pertain to OS390, but in Win2k, make sure your TSM Scheduler service is logging in as a domain admin or local admin for that machine. If not, there will be back ups without any of the include/excludes being used. I'm not sure how you would do this in OS390, but that was what fixed my similar problem in Win2k.

I have been experiencing the same problem with a WIN2K box. Even when I manually kick off a backup it ignores the include/exclude file. I read in the manual that the order followed is client option set, options entered locally on command line, defined on a server for schedule, locally in the options file and lastly default options.

I have defined a client option set to read " include s:\ DT03 " DT03 is my management class name. Still no success. This is really a problem because my s:\ drive is shark attached storage and I'll croak the system if I retain multiple copies for long periods of time.

Additionally, the TSM scheduler does not recognize shark attached storage but a manual backup does. Ultimately, I would love to have the TSM scheduler back up the s:\ drive using the DT03 management class which is specified in the DSM.OPT file.

If I can't get that to work, I would like to manually back up the s:\ storage and have TSM recognize either the client option set w/ the DT03 management class or the include/exclude file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting so incredibly frustrated !

(TSM Server Version 4.2.1.9 Client Version 4.2.2)

Maura :confused:

When backing up your S: drive, the TSM Scheduler service should be run under a domain admin account. I had a very similar problem as Maura's, only my drive was mapped to a MaxAttach NAS server. I was only able to get the backup to function correctly with the appropriate domain credentials. Also, the Client Options set on the TSM server will override any settings on the client's end.

Todd

Thanks Todd!

I changed the parameters as you suggested and I can now access the s: drive during a scheduled backup.

Do you have any idea why it still won't pick up the management class associated with the s: drive in the include/exclude statement . I have created a management class as well as a client option set. ( I defined the client option set because the include/exclude statement wasn't working.) I have defined the client option set to the node. I have also stopped and restarted the scheduler numerous times. I have also tried every conceivable comination of characters, quotes etc. (DT03 is the management class name)

include.Backup s:\ DTO3

include "s:\" DTO3

include 's:\' DT03

include.Backup "s:\" DT03

Thanks so much.

:sad:

Back