Impact of TSM Server name change..???

Asha

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody...

I would like to know is there any impact if we try to change the already configured TSM Servername..??

Regards & Thanks,
Asha

Hi Asha,

Changing of the TSM server name will have an impact if it is a library client and when you change make sure all the ba-clients

are using the IP address in the TCPSERVERADDRESS but not the Actual server name.

There will be a password prompt when you open the CLI or the GUI of the ba-client.

Server to server communication will also be effected.

If you have BA clients on MS Clusters, your TSM-related cluster services have the TSM Servername in Parameters tab (Win 2003), pointing to a registry entry.

Scripts, if you have any that use the TSM server name. Both TSM scripts and OS scripts.

If you change the TSM server name by issuing Set SERVername NEW_NAME then you clients will ask for the password to be set again.
Unless you have a small number of nodes the impact will be high unless you can use a tool to reset the password.

The servername is stored in the storad password, so the clients will be aware of the chnaged server name. This change was done in version 3.7 or 4.1.

If you change the hostname then you can use the old hostname as a alias in the DNS and everything will work ok if the clients use the hostname.
It is possible to change the servername back again so you can do some testing.

/good luck

Hi Asha,

TSM Servername is used in libsharing operations (including Storage Agents), Virtual volumes and Windows Clients registry setting.

See : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\Nodes

See the notice in the help page of the set servername command and you won't change your servername :
Windows clients use the server name to identify which passwords belong to which servers. Changing the server name after the clients are connected forces the clients to reenter the passwords.

just to add to this, what about if we are just changing the name of the box, that the server resides on, ie, the computer name?

If you use DNS name in your client dsm.opt files (TCPServerAddress option), then you'll need to change that, or in DNS make it an alias to your new DNS entry.

So I participated in this discussion, and it BIT me anyway. New server name, moved clients to it, and surprise, all prompt for PW.

Hi GregE,

Is the servername (SET SERVERNAME command) of the new server the same as the old one ? That's a key point.

Hi GregE
been there.
done that.
got the T-shirt. ;)
if it is possible just rename the server instance as erwanns said if you have not updated the passwords already.

One good reason to not name the TSMserver after the hostname, backup servers live for a long time.
Good luck GregE, hope you hae not lost to much sleep.

Already updated all the passwords for this move. Next up, Production. UGH!

No we don't use the hostname as the TSM ServerName. But I didn't want to have two of the same TSM ServerNames out there, knowing I'd at some point make a mistake of running something on one that was meant to be run on the other.

The old server still backs up production. (it was backing up both dev and production). The new server is now backing up dev. And in a few weeks, it will also take production, at which time I'll be updating passwords again, but for more clients this time. Not pretty at all. Yes I lost plenty of sleep, for this and other issues unrelated. Sometimes its live and learn the hard way.

Once I realized the problem, I didn't think to just set the servername. I thought, though it would take some time, it wouldn't be TOO bad (in the grand scheme of things) to make the password changes, but it's not TOO good either. :)

Might have to recruit app admins and windows admins to do groups of servers at production time.

Last edited:
Back