Impact of deleting a copy storage pool?

jwhowell

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Anybody have an idea of what deleting a copy storage pool will cost? My operations staff wants me to stop using so many tapes and so we've decided to discontinue use of our onsite copy pool. I need to release the tapes back to the scratch pool but what is likely to happen when I delete the pool? Is it going to be a lengthy process? Should I avoid any other TSM activity while it is going on? Will my recovery log be very, very, very, very active?

Hi,

First you should be very sure to do this because you loose your redundant data. So if one tape of the primary pool is destroyed important data is lost.

To delete this pool you've to delete the pool volumes and discard the data. After this you can delete the pool. Just have a look via typing "h del vol". But delete only one volume at a time otherwise your server performance will decrease significantly or even worse crash. I had this problem already. So this deleting job of yours will take some time (several ours). It depends on your tape drive perfomance and the number of files.

The log won't be the problem i think.

Back