IBM 3583 Tape Library Function/Firmware Problems

musumecm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I've recently acquired an IBM 3583 Tape Library at my work. It has 24 Tape slots of which 23 are being used (came with LTO tapes)... I believe every one except the first slot.

I've been using the "tapeutil" utility to try and access this library in an attempt to just move tapes around and do basic functions and most things result in the following error:
"
Enter Selection for /dev/rmt3: 17

Select operation (1=Load, 2=Unload, <enter>=Quit): 1
Enter Slot 4096-4119 or <enter> for first full slot:
Loading medium from first full slot...
Operation not supported on device, errno 22

Error Sense Data, Length 18
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F 0123456789ABCDEF
0000 - 7000 0500 0000 000A 0000 0000 3BA0 0000 [p...........; ..]
0010 - 0000 [.. ]

Does anyone know where I can find information about reading sense data or know what this message means?

So I've tried updating the firmware to the latest available, by going to IBM's site and using the RMU.. however, I don't have the username/password for the RMU (and no its not the defaults admin/secure, 0/0, admin/admin, Administrator/secure, etc.)... I can't figure out how to reset the RMU... (I've tried removing the rmu, powering it off, etc... ) If someone can please tell me how to reset the RMU that would definately help, I cannot find this information anywhere and its not in the IBM manual as far as I can see.

Since I couldn't update the firmware with the RMU I used the tapeutil utility and did the following: (tapeutil -> Tape Drive Service Aids -> Microcode load) However, what I had originally was the latest level, and so I just tried to reinstall... but I don't have any solid proof that it was successful other then the fact a message on the Operator Panel regarding the firmware has gone away and tapeutility showed the uploads as successful.

Library Firmware: 6.10.0004 (was updated)
Drive Firmware: 73V1L2S (was updated)
RMU Firmware: 190B.00004

My next step is to see what other diagnostics I can run... any insight to this problem would be helpful though.

Thanks,
Matt :cool:

Resetting the RMU passowrd...I pulled this from the IBM site a few years ago...in the zip file rename the xex file to .exe as it is needed in the steps below (the second file is a cheatsheet for the 3583 commnads):

To reset the password on the 3583 use the following procedure:
Ensure that the user has the "rmupswd.exe" RMU password utility.
(See attached file: rmupswd.exe)

From the main menu of the RMU (or the label on the faceplate of the
RMU), find the MAC address
o Example: 00:30:8C:01:04:4A.
Run the password exec: From the MS DOS Window, type: rmupswd
followed
by the MAC address
o Example: rmupswd 00:30:8C:01:04:4A
o The output will look as follows:

RMU Password Conversion Utility
COPYRIGHT (c) ADIC, INC -2001
Version: 1.01

Serial Num: '00:30:8C:01:0A:4A'
Password: '6811C74B'

The Administrator should utilize the new password generated from the
'rmupswd' executable
Access the service menu. This menu is accessible by going into
http://<ip-address>/service.htm , where "ip-address" is
the IP address of the RMU.
The Login name for IBM is: ibm-service
The password is the one the 'rmupswd' executable has just generated.
(As example of above password in RED. Characters are case sensitive)
To reset passwords and SNMP information click on Reset RMU to default
(passwords and SNMP data).
Click on Logout link at the left after the word DONE appears.
Now the RMU has set the default admin password as stated in library
documentation. (Password for admin is secure)( this works for the
also)

Attachments

• 3583.zip
    170 KB · Views: 537
Zatogo,

Thank you for the very useful information and the quick response! I was able to unlock the RMU, now I'm working on the other part of my challenge which is getting rid of those sense data errors... I'm trying to reload the firmware via the RMU.

Thanks again,

Matt

Ok. So having the latest firmware did not resolve this problem. Does anyone know how to decifer sense data? :confused:

Operation not supported on device, errno 22

Error Sense Data, Length 18
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F 0123456789ABCDEF
0000 - 7000 0500 0000 000A 0000 0000 3BA0 0000 [p...........; ..]
0010 - 0000 [.. ]

This is the output of trying to load a tape to my drive from a slot in the library.

Reset of password worked for my 3583. Thanks a lot!!!

Can anyone confirm if this procedure will work on an IBM 4560 Tape Library?

Very probably not. They look like entirely different libraries.

What is your problem with the 4560? (You may want to start your own thread.)

"Operation not supported on device, errno 22"

From errno.h, a 22 is:
#define EINVAL 22 /* Invalid argument */

What exact process are you using in tapeutil before issuing the 17?

Password Utility Worked Like a Charm

Thanks!! This information is like a small piece of gold. :D

Forgot to mention that I used this on a 3583 tape library.

I know this thread is quite old now but I have an ADIC Scalar 100, almost the same as IBM 3583 (rebadged I think?). I am trying to reset the RMU password with the rmu password utility. I am able to bring up the service login screen and have the generated password from the MAC address but cannot login? I suspect because it is ADIC's the user ID is not ibm-service but something else, I have tried service and adic-service but no joy. Any ideas?

Did you try the ADIC scalar 100 defaults?

Product Name User Name Password Description
Adic Scalar 100/1000 admin secure Admin access (HTTP)
Adic Scalar I2000 admin password Admin access (Multi)

http://www.default-password.info/adic/

By the way in case anyone is looking at this old forum and sees the sense data problem i was having originally.. I figured it out... forgot to come back and update the thread.. it was the Labels I was using.. for some reason L3 labels were put on LTO-2 tapes and it was causing my sense data errors.. you can either print L2 labels off a label generator via the internet or put no label on the tapes and the library will recognize it.. but when you stick an L3 (for LTO-3 tapes) on an LTO-2 tape it panics.

Matt

Did you eventually find out what UID to use? I have a adic Scalar 24 we inherited without the RMU password.

I also have a Scalar24 and used the rmu password utility. I was able to login using "adic-service" and the password that was generated.

Can i borrow this thread?

I have a ADIC scalar i2000 and i have forgot the admin password.

I have tried with rmupswd tool but with no luck.

Anybody here knows how to reset admin password?

Best regards
Skrattar

Back