HSM file migration size

tucker77

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am reading for HSM that the smallest file size to be considered for migration is the fragment size of the file system....I have tsm set up a file system that is 4MB fragments...so my question is, what happens when you fill up the file system with files that are 4MB and smaller??!!!

For HSM 5.4.0, the default smallest size to be migrated is 4KB.

However, you may change the setting through registry:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\Current\Version\HsmClient\dsmclc\FileSizeMinimum
HKLM\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\Current\Version\HsmClient\dsmgui\FileSizeMinimum

It only applies to "replace with stub". For "keep" and "delete", it will use hardcode limit of 4KB.

I am reading for HSM that the smallest file size to be considered for migration is the fragment size of the file system....I have tsm set up a file system that is 4MB fragments...so my question is, what happens when you fill up the file system with files that are 4MB and smaller??!!!

Are you sure about that. A 4MB frag size is ... huge. What OS/Filesystem is this? Sure you're not thinking of PP size or something else?

For example the default in NTFS is 4KB with a maximum of 64KB. AIX is 0.5 to 4KB. And so on.

I doubt the 4MB, too - unless you've got GPFS (in which case it doesn't matter since that's got another way of handling inodes). To answer the question: It fills up. But unless this is an extremely small filesystem, you'll run into scalability problems far before that. HSM won't scale into regions beyond 10-20 million files/FS.

PJ

Back