Howto Upgrade TSM Clients from ver 3.x to 5.3.3 for Servers 2k and 2003

meirf

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello...

I Need information about how to upgrade TSM Client from ver 3.x to 5.3.3

we have more then 300 server in my company and we whats to update all the servers in a silent mode installation,

I have some servers with windows2k servers, and the other with windows 2003 servers.

I need help how to do it!.

thanks.

meir.

Yo.. ppl Whatz goin on?

No one here have a clue for the questions that I asked?

i'll start all over again.

1. how do I upgrade TSM Client from 3.x to newer version 5.x?

2. what is the right way to upgrade TSM Client to a newer version is that possible?

3. The upgrade or the installation can be in silence mode?

4. I most restart the server after upgrade?

I need the answers ASAP...

thanks ppl....

Hi,

do not have answers, just some pointers ...

as versions before 4.2 were non-unicode, you will have to upgrade the filespaces to the unicode versions

silent install is possible

restart - it depends on features you want to use

what TSM server version you have? with client at 5.3 you should not go bellow 5.2

all migration info is here

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/topic/com.ibm.itsmc.doc/ans60000.pdf

Chapter 1. Page 1-10

Hope it helps

Harry

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>we have more then 300 server in my company and we whats to update all the servers in a silent mode installation,

I have some servers with windows2k servers, and the other with windows 2003 servers.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

meirf,

you can perform silent MSI installations easily (after extracting the downloaded client file), no matter if W2K or W2K3 is running.

Following is an example installing the German version of TSM Client 5.3.2 (5.3.3 should be the same syntax). Sources are stored in "c:\programme\tsmclient\src" in this example. The given options were ment for a "clean" system with no previous version of the TSM Client installed. I have no idea if this works for updates!

TSM Client:

msiexec.exe /i "c:\programme\tsmclient\src\IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Client.msi" RebootYesNo="No" REBOOT="ReallySuppress" ALLUSERS=1 INSTALLDIR="c:\programme\tsmclient" TRANSFORMS=c:\programme\tsmclient\src\1031.mst /qn /l*v "c:\logs\tsmclient_5.3.3_MSI.log" ADDLOCAL="BackupArchiveGUI,ApiRuntime,AdministrativeCmd,Readmes,PDF"

Language Pack (if necessary; the MSI filename might be different for your language; you can skip this if you want to run the English version):

msiexec.exe /i "c:\programme\tsmclient\src\LangPack\IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Client - German.msi" RebootYesNo="No" REBOOT="ReallySuppress" ALLUSERS=1 INSTALLDIR="c:\programme\tsmclient" TRANSFORMS=c:\programme\tsmclient\src\LangPack\1031.mst /qn /l*v "c:\logs\tsmclient_5.3.3_lang_MSI.log"

You can leave out some of these options since the default values might match your needs (for example if you prefer the default installation directory; however, I prefer to have some kind of full control during installation process). I used these options (with slight differences) in our environment and it worked fine for us.

The switch "/qn" is basically what you are looking for, since this one indicates the silent installation with no user interface at all. The options "RebootYesNo" and "REBOOT" might also be interesting for you if you don't want the installation to make a reboot automatically if one is needed (since this could be painful in production environments). Nevertheless it can be necessary that you perform a manual reboot to make the TSM Client work.

Keep in mind:

You should run several test installations before updating your servers. You should also stop all TSM related services on the target system(s) before updating. Carefully check out, if the update process is successful. If (direct) update from 3.x fails, perform clean uninstallations before updating to 5.3.x. My given installation example might not match your needs.

It might be necessary to update MSI to version 2.0 on the W2K servers (checkout version of "msiexec.exe" placed in the "winnt\system32" directory).

I hope these hints can help you.

Jens

Back