how to unmount from driver or check out

click007

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
need help,

one of my tape is stuck at the driver after backup...it didnt unmount from the driver after backup....
the backup is failed n i couldnt check out tape from ISC also...

so how can i umount that tape from driver...

can i restart the tape library without umounting it? before removing manually according to ibm manual , anyother way that can i eject from driver?..

tape library is ibm ult3583 tl

thanks
:(

Last edited:
hi,
if the tape is "mechanically" stuck in the drive, you should either free it yourself or call ibm hw support to do it.
You can check if tsm knows about that tape by doing a "q mount" an try to check out by doing "dismount volume xxx".
If you reboot TSM with the tape stuck in the drive, tsm will initialize with library error: it is common practice to dismount all tapes in drives before restarting tsm.

hope this helps
max

volume is not idle

hi,
if the tape is "mechanically" stuck in the drive, you should either free it yourself or call ibm hw support to do it.
You can check if tsm knows about that tape by doing a "q mount" an try to check out by doing "dismount volume xxx".
If you reboot TSM with the tape stuck in the drive, tsm will initialize with library error: it is common practice to dismount all tapes in drives before restarting tsm.

hope this helps
max

hello max,
thanks for help....

i tried as u suggest, tsm see tape when use "q mount", then i check out by doing "dismount volume xxx"..... but the error said " volume xxx is not idle "

i checked "q process" n there is no process also.... n there is no schedule & no manual backup....

waiting for help....
:rolleyes:

is there any session running ?

do a "q ses" to check it

is there any session running ?

do a "q ses" to check it

i see 4 session for that client , all of them status idlew...

what can i do next?

thanks a lot bro

well, try and cancel those sessions (canc ses numberofsession for each of them, or canc ses all) and then verify that no session is running.
After that do a "dismount volume volumename" and verify by doing q mount until drives are empty.

well, try and cancel those sessions (canc ses numberofsession for each of them, or canc ses all) and then verify that no session is running.
After that do a "dismount volume volumename" and verify by doing q mount until drives are empty.

now i got it ... thanks bro

another question is after i manual backup or schedule backup, the tape didnt unmount for a long time... is that normal case?... before unmounting , if another schedule comes, the tape is changed but the last tape didnt unmount also...

so that how long should b the tape in the driver after the backup is finished or any setting that i can change?....

thanks
:up:

Back