How to setup a shared library in TSM 5.1.5

chad_small

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.tsmadmin.com
After trial and error and working with support on this issue I was able to setup a shared library in TSM 5.1.5. It seems that Tivoli has changed the procedure with each incremental update and the documentation has not kept pace. So I thought I would describe how you setup a shared library in the current 5.1.5 server release.

Let's use servers LIB_MAN and LIB_CLI as our example servers. LIB_MAN will be the library manager and LIB_CLI will be the library client.

1. Define the Library, drives, paths, and device class for the 3584 on LIB_MAN. Our library is an LTO 3584. In TSM we define an AUTOMATED library with the SHARED option set to YES.

2. Define the two servers to each other to allow for enterprise administration (Make it easy on yourself and make sure crossdefine is turned on).

3. On LIB_CLI define a SHARED library with LIB_MAN as the Primary Library Manager.

4. On LIB_CLI define a LTO device class that points to the newly defined SHARED library (which in turn points to LIB_MAN).

5. On LIB_MAN Define Library and Drive Paths for the server LIB_CLI. When defining the Path make sure you use the defined Servername for LIB_CLI for the SOURCE_NAME field with a SOURCE_TYPE of SERVER. (Note: MAKE SURE TO CREATE PATHS FOR EACH DRIVE FOR LIB_CLI Tivoli stated that problems occur if you do not define paths for all drives to the library client server).

You have completed the steps to setting up a shared library within TSM 5.1.5. It's actually pretty easy to setup and get working when you have the right documentation. :)

UPDATE:

I just setup another shared library on 5.1.5 and you DO NOT need to define a library control point path for the library client. The only paths needed are for the drives. Don't forget to create the SHARED LIBRARY definition and use that shared library in the device class.

Chad Small

IBM Global Services

[email protected]

Chad your instructions worked pretty good. Thanks for posting this information. I have another question.

Once the shared library is defined on the library client.. How do I setup my diskpools to migrate to the LTO(tape) pool? Not sure how to configure this pool and where do I configure this on the client side or the library manager side?

I did create the device class and pointed it to the shared library. I also created the drive paths as well. I should also mention that I do have a Sequ. access storagepool on the library manager side.

Any help would be great

thnx Brian

Never mind I figured it out about 5 minutes after I wrote this. Had a lapse in brain functionality. Thnks

Back