How to restore tsm database from a tape on a new server

rjshroff

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to restore a database backup from a tape on a new server. The O.S. is Windows & the library is 3584 tape library.

As far as I can understand I might have to do the following

Install server filesets on the new server.

Define device class ,library,drives & their paths

Backup devconfig

Check for paths in the dsmserv.dsk file

Finally use the command dsmserv restore db deviceclass=<class name> volumenames=<volume name > commit=yes

Please suggest if this is the right way to go about it.

Thanks,

Ritesh

Dont forget to backup your volhist you will need this along with the devconfig.

Do you have a DRM plan in place? If not, now is the time to create one.

Complete documentation is on the IBM Support Site. Also, attend the TSM DR class, it's quite beneficial.

Steven

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Dont forget to backup your volhist you will need this along with the devconfig.

Do you have a DRM plan in place? If not, now is the time to create one.

Complete documentation is on the IBM Support Site. Also, attend the TSM DR class, it's quite beneficial.

Steven</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi, just wondering if you can share the URL for documentation you're referring to.

Thanks!

DR Plan files are a benefit if you keep procedures and contact info in them but in many cases we have found that in a DR situation the scripts seciton is not always usefull since the hardware configurations tend to change. You usually restructure your disk or have different filesystem or disk names so it makes it somewhat a hassle. Don't misread this the DR Plan is definitely useful but its rebuild capabilities depend on how closely the DR hardware and setup match the dead TSM server.

Back