how to reduce off site volumes ?

baloo1

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
HI all, i am newbie in TSM. I have next problem: our customer have backup retention 30 days. Each saturday runs selective backup and monday-friday incremental backup + database backup. Now we implemetning DRM. DB backup expires in 7 days. how long will hold TSM drvolume in state "vault" ? 30 days ? This means 24-26 offfsite volumens in vault state + 7 db volumes. Exists any possibility how to use volume before this time period and reduce number of offsite volumes? Thanks for each idea and comment advance.

First off look into creating a WEEKLY node and then on the weekend have the weekend node run an incremental. (I would also recommend you create a WEEKLY domain and put the WEEKLY nodes in that domain. Retention can be longer since you will only be doing incrementals) I used this process at my last employer and it's less data and just as good recovery wise. That will free up a lot of offsite tapes since you wont be sending FULLs offsite weekly, which is just crazy.

Hi Chad, thanks for response. Unfortunatelly i cannot change backup frequency :( . Full backup of all servers is on one tape. Question is, how i can reduce number of tapes offsite, with settings TSM, if is it possible

Back