How to find where data is on which tape

nns23

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need to find out how to find where files are and what tapes they are loaded on. I have an audit and need to restore certain files.

Thanks in advance, I am new to tsm

If your audit is just to prove a restore, do you need to know which tape the data is on? TSM will handle this for you. Just kick off the restore and TSM will load the tapes it needs. However, if you have tapes outside your library, it will prompt you to load these. I hope this helps.

I need to find which tapes the data is on, and get tapes back to restore files, and files will tested to complete audit. Thanks

Hi,
You can try the command 'query contents <volume name> to find out files.

Thanks.

you don't need to know which tapes contains your data! choose your files to restore and simply click the restore button on backup archive client gui... the tapes which contains your data to be restored calling by tsm automatically, if you have only a tape drive (instead of autoloader or library) enter the command "Q REQ" tsm shows you requested tapes for your restore...

If you have the nodename, you can narrow down the list of volumes by QUERY NODEDATA and then can filter the ouput of QUERY CONTENT on each tape can yield what you want...!

They are old files that are no longer on the server GUI. I tried that first.
I have the nodename I get an error when running the command. nodename is pnet how should it be typed out? Thanks!

nns23-

If your client node are colocated. Run the following select statement for each tape that node owned.

select * from contents where file_name like 'File_Name' and volume_name
like 'Vol_Ser'

Hope this help

They are old files that are no longer on the server GUI. I tried that first.
I have the nodename I get an error when running the command. nodename is pnet how should it be typed out? Thanks!

The files you want to restore are no longer listed in the GUI? Either a) you need to enable the "inactive" files option on the GUI, or b) the files have expired.

If b) is the case then you can't restore the files. They have been expired.

Just go to TSM GUI at Client Machine and choose the Restore and restore which file do u required. to know the data where its stores in the tape , is not eazy in the library to identify its a large tape lib.

Hi, I need to find out how to find where files are and what tapes they are loaded on. I have an audit and need to restore certain files.

Thanks in advance, I am new to tsm

To list all voumes needed for a restore

select node_name, volume_name, stgpool_name, filespace_name
from volumeusage
where node_name='xxxxx'

HTH,

dkk

Back