how to enable library to have two types of drives?

dsoucy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
We have a storagetek library with 4 dlt7000 drives. We are getting 4 LTO2 drives (they will replace the dlt7000s, eventually). Does anyone know if and how I can hook up the new LTO2 drives in TSM and have them both working?

thanks,

-dave

Dave,

I don't know if it's the same or not, but the TSM manuals (and I think a redbook or two) go through how to partition a 3494 library with both 3490 and 3590 drives. You might try reading that to get some ideas.

-Aaron

Hey, this should not be a problem. We had a STK silo (acsls system) with 9940B drives and 3590 drives.

Basically, define another library definition using the same library device (whether using acsls or some type of scsi library). So, create another logical library name.

Then define these new drives to this new library, then build a new device class, and new storage pools on top of that. Notice how this will be a complete different structure and no mixing. So when you do the labels and checkout/in you will reference the new library name. You can still use the old tape/library, just make sure to reference that library name when doing the apprioprate tape operations.

Rick

Back