how to configure oracle TDP

oguri

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We have TSM client 6.2.0.0 on a production system with oracle. our tsm server version is 6.2.2.0.

now we are taking the backup of the oracle files after they have been taken backup to a DISK.

I want to know

1) what are advantages by configuring the TDP ?
2)how to configure the TDP?

Thanks in advance.

If you are backing up to disk via RMAN, and then using TSM to backup the files on disk, you would not need to use TDP. The BA client should be sufficient. This is a simpler configuration, but you can't directly access the backups in TSM through RMAN (would need to restore to disk first). You also don't have to license TDP. Also, you would need enough disk space to hold your RMAN backups.

If you are wanting to backup from RMAN directly to TSM, then you would need the TDP client. Some benefits include letting the DBA manage backups through RMAN; you would not need to restore to disk before recovering via RMAN. Adding capacity to TSM (eg, buying new tapes) is probably easier and cheaper.

Getting the requirements and working with your DBA will probably lead you in one direction or the other.

Good luck!

Last edited:
thanq very much for your reply,

can you send some links to study and configure this.

now we are taking the backup using the RMAN and we are using nearly 4TB of disks to store the backup. later we are moving the data to the tapes.

Now my client is asking to move the data directly to the tape.

so can you send me some links to study the configure the TDP.

Back