How to check out tape to offsite ?

hungng89

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

We create a schedule to a monthly backup node for our server and a storage pool for monthly backup jobs .
After every backup ( at the end of the month ). We want to check out the tape to take it off-site .

I have question that when i check out what will happens to my tape , how should i add it again to the storage pool later ? ( In case of DR exercises ):)

Thanks and best regards

The volume once assigned to the storage pool will always be accessible unless set to UNAVAILABLE or DESTROYED or returned to scratch because all the data has been reclaimed or expired and it is empty. Even if you set it to offsite TSM will reference it and state that the data is unavailable to the server until it's brought back onsite. checked back into the library, and set as read-write.

when you check out the drm tape, the stattus will change to vault(offsite). for day to day operation tsm will do the expiration and space reclaimation process. After all the data in the tape has been expired and status of the tape will change to vaultretrieve. now you can checkin the tape to tsm as scratch tape or private by define in storagepool.

check the drm tape
tsm> q drm volume_name wherestate=mo
(if you have the mountable tape, you need checkout the tape)

checkou drm tape..
tsm>move drm volume_name wherestate=mo tostate=vault
(on this step your library will checkuot the mountable tape and status of this tape will change to vault and access as offsite)

from vault to vaultretrieve
*Tsm will automatically change the status of the tape from vault to vaultretrieve after all data on the tape has been expired and reclaimation process.

move to onsite retrieve
tsm>move drm volume_name wherestate=vaultretrieve tostate=onsiteretrieve
(for tape that have change status as vaultretrieve, you can reuse the tape with cange the status to onsiteretrieve.)

checkin tape
now you can chekin as scratch or private.

Last edited:
Back