how to check connecting client versions?

dwcasey

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
newbie admin here.

What command/script/sql can I run to get the client versions of all connecting clients to my TSM server?

Two quick ways I can think of

select node_name as Node, client_version as Ver, client_release as Rel, client_level as lvl, client_sublevel as sublvl from nodes

or

q node * f=d

Code:
select node_name as node, cast (client_version as char)||'.'||cast (client_release as char)||'.'||cast (client_level as char)||'.'||cast (client_sublevel as char (2)) as version from nodes
Do you mean anything specifically by 'connecting' clients? This lists all defined clients ..

Nice format JohanW!
(obviously I am not as advanced in sql as you.)

Could also add the 'lastacc_time' option and sort it by either node name or date.

Code:
select node_name as node, cast (client_version as char)||'.'||cast (client_release as char)||'.'||cast (client_level as char)||'.'||cast (client_sublevel as char (2)) as version, cast (lastacc_time as char (19)) as Accessed from nodes

(I am learning :D)

I suppose if you wish to know the client version of any 'Connected' or in session clients you could do a select statement and join the session and node table.

JohanW, good point. I guess I was thinking that there may be nodes that are defined that don't or haven't connected for some time. Maybe they would be weekly, monthly or just testing?

But I think you solution to retrieve defined node would probably be best as a catch-all. This is for a recent security patch released by IBM. I want to check the clients to see if they are current or need to upgrade.

Link to *Security fixes for the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) client*
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21384389

Nice format JohanW!
(obviously I am not as advanced in sql as you.)

Could also add the 'lastacc_time' option and sort it by either node name or date.

Code:
select node_name as node, cast (client_version as char)||'.'||cast (client_release as char)||'.'||cast (client_level as char)||'.'||cast (client_sublevel as char (2)) as version, cast (lastacc_time as char (19)) as Accessed from nodes
(I am learning :D)

I suppose if you wish to know the client version of any 'Connected' or in session clients you could do a select statement and join the session and node table.

What is the field I can add to that select statement to show my the client OS?

Also, can change the '19' to '10' to display only the date and not the time.

With the option of the OS level

Code:
select node_name as node, cast (client_version as char)||'.'||cast (client_release as char)||'.'||cast (client_level as char)||'.'||cast (client_sublevel as char (2)) as version, cast (lastacc_time as char (10)) as Accessed, client_os_level as os_level from nodes

What is the field I can add to that select statement to show my the client OS?

Select * from nodes <--- This will show you all fields available for the nodes table.
With that information in hand. You can select any field you want.
In your case, that would be PLATFORM_NAME and CLIENT_OS_LEVEL

Keep in mind that for Windows clients, CLIENT_OS_LEVEL will show something like "5.02" which means W2K3, 5.01 = Win XP, 5.00 = W2K, etc

thank you!

Thanks guys. Very helpful tips. I now have a nicely formatted report with the information I need. Much appreciated.

Back