How long is the drm_checkout process valid ?!

onetrickpony

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
hi guys

i have to re-organize the drm. now i have an idea, but im not shure if this would work. just learning to work with tsm.

i start drm process drm_checkout at monday 16:00. how long is this process valid? is it possible to take the tapes out of the library at next day (tuesday 10 o clock)?!?

i asking this cause the guy which will transport the tapes sometimes work on tuesday and sometimes on monday.

thanks for your answers and sry bout my bad english. :cool:

Hi Tricky,

DRM is a process which involves several states.Whenever you perform a checkout process depending on the library you use all the tapes will be in the I/O slots ...

the Transportation guy can pick the tapes from the I/O slots on any day unless you will not checkin the same tapes..

There is no validity period for the DRM but it depends on the expiration and the copygroup parameters you set...

ok. my problem is, that at least 18 tapes will be checkout every time. but we just have 10 I/O slots. so whats happen to the other 8 tapes? how long is that process valid?!

the checkin process is maybe 20h later than, the checkout. i hope you understand what i mean.

Give some more details about the libray make and model

its an ibm 3584 ultrascalable tape library with lto2 and lto4 tapes.

It sounds like you need a script that will check out 10 tapes at a time. Alternatively, the 3584 used to have an option for another 20 I/O slots but whether it's possible to add these to an existing library I'm not sure.

It sounds like you need a script that will check out 10 tapes at a time. Alternatively, the 3584 used to have an option for another 20 I/O slots but whether it's possible to add these to an existing library I'm not sure.

no, i dont need a script. i already got one that works...

drm_checkout at monday 16:00 (18 tapes will checkout. 10 are already in the I/O slot so the other 8 waiting in the library.)

the courier is coming next day. its tuesday 10:00. he takes the 10 tapes from the I/O slot and after that drm_checkout will checkout the other 8 tapes.

now this is the question. will the drm_checkout process checkout the other 8 tapes? i mean this is 18 hours later than the drm_checkout process was started...

im not sure about how long is the process drm_checkout valid !!

the courier is coming next day. its tuesday 10:00. he takes the 10 tapes from the I/O slot and after that drm_checkout will checkout the other 8 tapes.

now this is the question. will the drm_checkout process checkout the other 8 tapes? i mean this is 18 hours later than the drm_checkout process was started...

im not sure about how long is the process drm_checkout valid !!

Based on "help checkout libvol" for a SCSI library, the action is dependent on the REMOVE parameter.

Bottom line: It should wait until the I/O slots are empty, and prompts you to issue a reply command. This may not be desirable for extended wait periods, and no one to issue the reply command when the courier arrives.

Last edited:
Of course for the behavior to occur as moon-buddy describes the library has to have had virtual IO enabled.

thx-a-lot for your answers.

move drmedia * wherestate=mountable tostate=vault remove=bulk

thats the command, if i understand correct. theres no time limit with the checkout.

Back