How long are you keeping data?

dms19

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just trying to get a feel for what the average retention period is everyone is using. I know this depends on business needs etc. but I got to thinking.
Was wonderig what most are using on average.

usually retextra 60, retonly 365, but it may vary ... depends on customer requirements and on available tapes ...

max

Hopefully this is what you are lookng for.

Versions Data Exists 14
Versions Data Deleted 14
Retain Extra Versions 30
Retain Only Version 60

Yeah I was curious to see what most are using in the way of versions and days for retention. Figured I'd see more than 2 responses :)

daily backup -1 instance
Version data exist = No limit
Vesion data deleted = 40
Retextra = 40
Retonly = 40

Monthly backup - other instance
Version data exist = No limit
Vesion data deleted = No Limit
Retextra = 365
Retonly = 365

Versions Data Exists 30
Versions Data Deleted 3
Retain Extra Versions 30
Retain Only Version 60

also do monthly archives of user type data

rlkeeney said:
Versions Data Exists 14
Versions Data Deleted 14
Retain Extra Versions 30
Retain Only Version 60

I also have:
1 Year Archive
5 Year Archive
15 Year Archive

5 and 15 year archives are for files that have legal reasons why they need to be kept that long. The 1 year archive is used for things that are going to be up graded or have some other one time reason for a backup. I dump my logs to a file every night and process them into what I consider a more readable format deleting any junk and archive these for one year.

We try to set retention in terms of "days of recovery". To accomplish that we use vere=nol verd=nol and set rete to the retention period. Reto is usually equal to rete except for some environments, specifically file servers, where we will extend reto longer then rete to keep deleted files longer.

For example:
30 days recovery
vere=nol, verd=nol, rete=30, reto=30

Using nol for vere prevents any ad-hoc backups pushing a version and reducing days of recovery.

Back