How does TSM prioritize files/volumes for migration?

mbd

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a huge storage pool that unfortunately is used by one client for archives. I have some volumes to delete and was wondering when their data would start migrating. We have to use migration to avoid an outage for the customer, otherwise move data would be preferred for this.

Can anyone tell me how TSM prioritizes files for migration, that is, in what order files are migrated?

Sorry i didn't get your question properly.

Can anyone tell me how TSM prioritizes files for migration, that is, in what order files are migrated?

when Migration starts

1) TSM checks for the Client node Filespace which utilized/occupied max in that storage pool.
2) Then it migrates the whole data of that client node.
3) After that it checks for low-migration threshold.
4) if still it is above the low migration threshold then it do the same for the client data which utilized max of all.

for ex:storage pool STGPOOLA is having data of clientA, clientB and clientC.
ClientA data is 20GB with a FS 5GB backed up and clientB is 15GB with a FS 10GB and clientC is 10GB with a FS 3GB.
then
first it migrates the whole data of clientB ---checks lowmigrationthreshold --- migrates clientA .....................

Thats a wonderful reply Sandeep..

Sorry i didn't get your question properly.

when Migration starts

1) TSM checks for the Client node Filespace which utilized/occupied max in that storage pool.
2) Then it migrates the whole data of that client node.
3) After that it checks for low-migration threshold.
4) if still it is above the low migration threshold then it do the same for the client data which utilized max of all.

for ex:storage pool STGPOOLA is having data of clientA, clientB and clientC.
ClientA data is 20GB with a FS 5GB backed up and clientB is 15GB with a FS 10GB and clientC is 10GB with a FS 3GB.
then
first it migrates the whole data of clientB ---checks lowmigrationthreshold --- migrates clientA .....................

That's good to know, but I have only one client basically. Any way to know when a volume is going to migrate? Apart from the migration delay.

That's good to know, but I have only one client basically. Any way to know when a volume is going to migrate? Apart from the migration delay.

In that case the best way is to use move data command to move data from the volumes which you want to delete rather than waiting for migration.

move data volume_name stgpool=stgpool_name
and delete that volume

Also, you can make them read-only meanwhile to prevent further writing...

Regards, Tariq

Back