how do you restore windows 2003 event logs?

kimBastian

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum and i have tried searcing for this info, but could not find it anywhere.

In Windows 2000 you could restore event logs using the dsmc "restore eventlog" command and the files got restored to the c:\adsm folder.

Is this at all posible using windows 2003? When i try and use the "restore eventlog" command, i get "ANS1184W The RESTORE EVENTLOG command is not supported on this client.".

But how do i then restore only the windows 2003 eventlogs ?

Any help appreciated
Kim

Can you do it in the GUI? The GUI Help says you can, and the GUI seems to want to do it, but the help doesn't give command line syntax. This might be in the Cmd Line Help, but I'm not looking it up for you there. Lazy. ;)

gui works - sort of

I can do the restore using gui ,if i select eventlog under system_services and ignore the message that it is not recommended to restore individual system_services objects. And i also have to reboot the server, i guess because the files gets restored to windir/system32/config (which overwrites current eventlogs) and not as in "old days" c:\adsm folder.

But how can you do the using dmsc ? the help includes item 77 "restore eventlog" and i can see what options i can choose from, but still "dsmc restore eventlog" gives error mentioned.

From the client documentation on the website:

"This command is valid for Windows XP clients only."

Sorry.

Back