How could i remove TSM node

pfsubaru

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am doing some maintenace cleanup on my TSM server and I notices I have quite a few TSM node that are no longer doing any more backup or the nodes are no longer exist. I attempted to remove the node from TSM and I am getting an error. Can some provide me the proper steps to remove it? Please and thanks!

Hi,

You can't remove nodes when then still have filespaces registered. First, find these filespaces with the Q FI <nodename> command, doublecheck, then delete the filespaces with the DEL FI <nodename> <filespacename> command (or DEL FI <nodename> * command). Doublecheck before answering Yes !!!

When it's done (see Q PROC command), you'll be able to remove the node with the REMOVE NODE <nodename> command.

Keep in mind that the is no rollback or undelete command !

Erwann

Be sure that all the data has expired!!!

I mean I might have turned off the schedule for a node 1 year ago, but if the expiration is 10 years, I cannot delete the node for the next 9 years, otherwise, Bye-Bye backups.

ad283m,

Active versions will stay forever, regardless of retention or active or inactive shedules. If you want to remove a node, you'll have to delete its backups.

Hi, erwans.

Agreed the active will stay forever, that's why he must check that all the data backed up is beyond the retention policy, I mean If all the backups/archives for the node are over 30 days and 10 years, respectively, and the node policy is to retain 30 days for backup and 10 years for archive, then it's safe to delete all the backups and then delete the node because all the data should have expired. Otherwise he'll lose data.

I really hate that part about TSM, keeping the active forever, makes the job harder, and in SQL is worse.

Regards.

You could use backupset and export the data to DVD or Tape just to be safe, before you delete all data from the node.

Just my 5 cents.

Last edited:
Hi,

I try the suggested the command and this is what I got back from the TSM server.

1. Q FI <nodename>
2. DEL FI <nodename> <filespacename>

ANR0852E delete filespace: no matching file spaces found for node <nodename>

Please help.

Try deleting the filespaces by FSID instead of filespace name, eg:

>q fil
Node Name Filespace FSID Platform Filespace Is Files- Capacity Pct
Name Type pace (MB) Util
Unicode?
--------------- ----------- ---- -------- --------- --------- ----------- -----
ADIDAS \\adidas\d$ 3 WinNT NTFS Yes 81,908.0 37.5
ADIDAS \\adidas\c$ 4 WinNT NTFS Yes 16,382.0 49.6

and the deletion command for the \\adidas\d$\ filespace would be:

>del fil adidas 3 namet=fsid

It works .... you are the man. Thank you so much.

So.... should I issue expire inventory after the deletion or will TSM automatically releases the tape space upon deletion?

You don't need to expire after a delete filespace. The deletion removes the entries from the database (and "releases" the tape space as a consequence), so there's nothing left to expire. A stgpool reclamation might be an idea however, depending on how much data you got rid of.

That's what I thought but I thought I better ask just to be sure. Thank you very much for such a quick reponse.

Back