How add another istance (backup node) on a linux RadHat client?

nnsense

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm a newbie of tsm, and (to get things worst) of tsm on linux.
I'm founding some trouble trying to add another backup node on a RedHat box.
Sorry if i'm not using the right terms, ask if i'm not clear.
What we have is a client, standard, configured to backup a directory every three days.
What we need to achieve is to add another nodename, with a different configuration (Incremental, every day).

I've tryed a deep google research, but i've found a lot of pieces of the puzzle, and.. because of mu knowledge about tsm, i can't rebuild how do it.

Please, does anybody have something like a point-point solution.. for dummies? :):)

Sorry, I didn't mentioned, server is Version 5, Release 4, Level 0.0 on Windows 2003 Server

What you need to do is either setup a scheduler or cmd file that runs the following:

export DSM_CONFIG=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.node2.opt

Then create that opt file that references a different SERVERNAME stanza in the dsm.sys.

<--dsm.node2.opt-->
SERVERNAME NODE2

Edit the dsm.sys file
<---dsm.sys--->
SERVERNAME NODE1
COMMMETHOD TCPIP
NODENAME NODE1

SERVERNAME NODE2
COMMMETHOD TCPIP
NODENAME NODE2

Make sure you have registered the second node, then you can access this secondary node through multiple options:

dsmc -opfile=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.node2.opt

or

dsmc -servern=NODE2

Or if you export the DSM_CONFIG value like above then the environment will be set to login as NODE2.

Now you can make a decision to either run a secondary scheduler or have the scheduler for NODE1 run a shell script that runs the backup as NODE2. Either works, I have done both and it is a personal preference on how you decide to execute it.

Errr.. you mean that i have to execute the command
export DSM_CONFIG=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.node2.opt
on the RedHat (client) linux shell?

and..
<--dsm.node2.opt-->
means that i have to concatenate the files?

I've tryed to execute that line, but it doesn't create a dsm.node2.opt file in /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/

Please, excuse me.. i'm a real newbie, as you never knew before :D

OOPS.. ok, i've found with
export|grep DSM_CONFIG
that i have this new line:
declare -x DSM_CONFIG="/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.node2.opt"

.. now, about servername: the name of the server is the same, what changes is the nodename, is the procedure the same?

SERVERNAME is used to start a new alternate settings stanza in the DSM.SYS and does not reference a TSM server. The references to the TSM server are within the SERVERNAME stanza like TCPSERVERADDRESS and TCPPORT. So you use the dsm.opt to tell which SERVERNAME stanza the TSM client should reference for startup configuration. This is all listed in the TSM client manual for Linux here.

Ok, so..
What i've done is:
1 - Command in shell : export DSM_CONFIG=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.node2.opt
2 - Duplicate of dsm.opt (because the server is the same), named dsm.node2.opt
3 - Added another stanza (beginning with the SERVERNAME option ;) inside dsm.sys

Now i have to register it on the tsm server, ok, but.. ehm.. how i add another scheduler on red hat?
I've seen that someone use the chkconfig --add name command, what i have is:
tsmsched 0ff 1off 2on 3on 4on 5on 6off
How to add another scheduler?
Or makes the first launches the second?

Thank you! ;)

Wow!!!
New lights at the end of the tunnel!!! :)
That's ok, so i would change

SERVERNAME TSM-SERVER
COMPRESSALWAYS NO
DATEFORMAT 3
DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL

in

SERVERNAME TSM-SERVER2
COMPRESSALWAYS NO
DATEFORMAT 3
DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL

naming (on server side) the new node as TSM-SERVER2 ?

But.. i've checked the server, and we have only one node for this client, and is not TSM-SERVER, we called it as the client, GROUNDWORK.

Forget about the name used for SERVERNAME dsm.opt files it just tells the client which corresponding SERVERNAME STANZA to read in the dsm.sys. It is the stanzas in the dsm.sys where you set TSM server IP, commmethod, nodename, port, compression, etc. You could have a SERVERNAME stanza of LONESTAR and another as DARK-HELMET and the node name listings under them could be NODE1 and NODE2 respectively and each node could be contacting the same TSM server called TSM_MASTER1. SERVERNAME is just a reference you don't have to have any logic to it, but it helps.

So you could create another node name on the server called GROUNDWORK2 and then on the client you would create another SERVERNAME stanza in the dsm.sys with the appropriate settings (you could copy and paste GROUNDWORKS stanza and just change the SERVERNAME and the NODENAME. Then create the alternate dsm.node2.opt optionsfile that has the SERVERNAME for GROUNDWORK2's stanza in the dsm.sys.

Example of dsm.sys:

SERVERNAME NODE1
COMMMETHOD TCPIP
TCPSERVERADDRESS 172.82.22.21
TCPPORT 1500
NODENAME GROUNDWORK

SERVERNAME NODE2
COMMMETHOD TCPIP
TCPSERVERADDRESS 172.82.22.21
TCPPORT 1500
NODENAME GROUNDWORK2

Then when you want run as either of the nodes you use the opt file that references the appropriate SERVERNAME stanza for that node. Got it?

Yeah, that's right ;)
Ok, but.. the last thing.. how call it from the first scheduler, or how create a scheduler for itself?
It is called just like this, putting it in the .opt?

Back