Help! TSM DB backups consumed all my scratch volumes!

higgies

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi There!

I have a single storage pool for tape that is in use with Windows HSM. It's allowed to take up to 50 volumes from scratch to use for storage.

My daily admin script to backup the DB is configured to also use scratch volumes. It has now taken up 43 of my 64 volumes total!! How can I reconfigure the script to take from a list of volumes instead, and allocate those volumes outside of scratch?? My HSM has stopped working and is rapidly filling the disk cache now that the TSM server can't take in the data.

Thanks in advance!!

Are you using DRM? If not, use a "del volhist" command to make some of your old db backup tape to scratch.

Thanks for the reply! How do I determine which volumes are the latest, so as not to delete that volhist?

issue "q volhist" and you will see the date of backup. delete volhist will not delete the latest backup. look in the admin reference guide for the "delete volhist" command and you will pretty much have an idea after reading it or issue help delete volhist from the tsm command line

Got it! Thanks! Can I add this as a admin script to delete backups older than a period of time?

In order to get here, I did the following:

del volhist date=today-7 type=DbBackup

yes, this means you only retaining 7 days of dbbackup.

Great. Thanks for the fast response. I really appreciate it, and am very impressed with the forum. Glad I found the right place to be!
:):)

Back