Help: DRM to Another Server with Attached Tape Library

johnnyp112

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I searched around and I couldn't find anyone using DRM to another server with a tape library directly attached to it.

We have a Windows server running TSM 5.1.1.1 (TSM1) and it has an old tape library directly attached to it through SCSI. We are running DRM and our copypool is on SDLT tapes. The storage on this server is pretty much full so we installed another Windows server running TSM 5.1.1.1 (TSM2) on the same network to split up the backups between these two servers. We have desktop users' data backed up to TSM1 and server backups on TSM2.

I want to be able to copy the storage pool on TSM2 to the copypool on TSM1 directly to the SDLT tapes through server-to-server. Storing the data from TSM2 to TSM1 via server-to-server then copying that storage pool is not an option since we don't have the disk storage.

Is there a way to copy the storage pools on TSM2 directly to the copypool on TSM1 using server-to-server? The tape library is so old we are not able to attach it to our SAN.

Thanks for any help.

Johnny

Hey guys,
I searched around and I couldn't find anyone using DRM to another server with a tape library directly attached to it.

We have a Windows server running TSM 5.1.1.1 (TSM1) and it has an old tape library directly attached to it through SCSI. We are running DRM and our copypool is on SDLT tapes. The storage on this server is pretty much full so we installed another Windows server running TSM 5.1.1.1 (TSM2) on the same network to split up the backups between these two servers. We have desktop users' data backed up to TSM1 and server backups on TSM2.

I want to be able to copy the storage pool on TSM2 to the copypool on TSM1 directly to the SDLT tapes through server-to-server. Storing the data from TSM2 to TSM1 via server-to-server then copying that storage pool is not an option since we don't have the disk storage.

Is there a way to copy the storage pools on TSM2 directly to the copypool on TSM1 using server-to-server? The tape library is so old we are not able to attach it to our SAN.

Thanks for any help.

Johnny

I don't think what you want is possible. As far as I have worked on server-to-server setups, for a online tape pool to be copied to a tape copy pool, the two must be owned by one server.

One way that I have addressed these types of setups is to create a disk pool on the remote TSM server, and define the online and copy tape pool on the TSM server that drives the library BUT owned by the remote TSM server. The disk to tape backups happens over the wire. In your case, you may try defining the copy pool on the main TSM (TSM1) server BUT owned by the remote TSM (TSM2) server. However, this does not meet your original requirement - the copy pool being owned by the main TSM server.

It can't go to copy pool on TSM1. However, it still can go directly to tape. You can create primary pool on TSM1 that use tape device class. Then you set that pool as destination for archive copy group of policy domain where TSM2 is registered as node on TSM1.

With shared library, you can define a copypool attached with the device class pointing to the shared lib, ie lib managed by second server
With virtual volumes, you can send copies to a pool local to the second server
Search for "shared library" and "virtual volume" on admin guide
You'll find all step by step configurations

Aside: during a DR scenario, you are going to want to get the servers restored long before you care about desktops. The way you have it configured, you'll need to get both TSM servers restored before you can start restoring the server clients. I would have put the server backups going to TSM1.

And I agree with picay: why not just set up TSM1 as a library manager?

Thanks everyone for the reply. Eventually, we'll move away from the use of tapes and hopefully we can get another server up and running on a remote site and use it for DRM.

Also, does it matter if the source server is a higher version (TSM 6.1) than the target server (TSM 5.5)?

Thanks again,

Johnny

A better design should be to define a tsm0 as library manager (and only that) with both library atached to it
then to attach tsm1 and tsm2 as library client, having each one it set of pool disk
For server-to-server communication, it is strongly recommended, despite tivoli compatibility matrix, to have all server at the same level
Some compatibility exists, happily for upgrades, but I didn't recommend to stay long time with different server level in prod

Back