help automated library and drives

ndonato

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am trying to make a volume of grouped tapes and its not loving me I am ready for the perverbial hammer any idea why the GUI (webadmin) isnt letting me do it it says that I can not use search=yes with volrange=B1000,B1013 ( ITS A SCSI LIB 3447)

adding my exact syntax:

checkin libvolume archive search=yes volrange=bar110,bar130 status=scratch

label libvolume LB4.0.0.2 archive checkin=scratch search=yes labelsource=barcode overwrite=yes

it always tells me that volrange is invalid or in the second line that the checkin is invalid this is really getting annoying :evil: :evil: TSM is becoming :evil:

I think search and volrange are mutually exclusive. You can have search=yes OR volrange=bar110,bar130 but not both.

-Aaron

yes but I have tried it both ways basically im trying to group my tapes under a library volume as well as a sequential at least that is how it worked on 4.2 unless that changed in 5.1. No matter what combination i try it will not let me group my tapes into a volume. I am beginning to think you can either group them in a sequential access volume or a library volume but not both at the same time.

-n

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Just so I understand this, are you saying i need to create the volume name first then do a volrange to add tapes to that volume.

-n

I think I may be confused by what you are trying to do.

A tape is volume. It is both a library volume and a sequential volume.

When you place a scratch tape in a library, you check it into the TSM server as a scratch tape. This makes it a library volume (checkin libvol {libr_name} {vol_ser} status=scratch) This tape is now a library volume. When TSM needs to use a new scratch tape, it will pick one from the pool of available scratch tapes and give it to a storage pool. This makes that volume a sequential access volume as part of that storage pool. The tape is STILL a library volume until it is checked out from that library.

The best way to see this is to query the library volumes on a server (q libv) and pick the first scratch volume you see and query that volume. (q vol {vol_ser}) You'll get an error saying that there are not matches for that volume. Now pick a volume with data on it and query that volume. You'll see that it is in a stgpool and has a devclass.

Library volumes and sequential volumes are setup as a one-for-one relationship.

-Aaron

Back